Walmart Essentials Chlorinating Liquid?

mbuice

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2014
Denton, TX
Not sure if this is the correct area for this question, I just went with my gut.

My local walmart just started carrying a liquid chlorine in the pool section. It says it's 10% Sodium HypoChlorite, 90% "other ingredients". I'm assuming that like bleach the 90% other ingredients = water.

I've been weary and wanted to know if anyone has tried it? It's not HTH.

Now it's on roll-back for $2.50/gallon, down from $3.50/gallon. I'm thinking about going and getting a few jugs, just wanted everyone else's opinion.

Great! Thanks for replying!

This is the first time I've ever seen any store in my town that carried liquid chlorine, even the pool supply stores only carry the granules/pucks. In May I usually order a ton through Ace Hardware for their Memorial Day sale (2 x10% gallons for $5) and have to drive to the next town over to get it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought 6 bottles on Tuesday. I used 4 of them when SLAMing my pool, which is now crystal clear. I passed the OCLT and the CC<.5 this morning, so I'm letting the chlorine drop down to normal levels before turning on the swcg. So, it worked perfectly well for me and I still have 2 bottles remaining.

See GeorgiaPoolOwner for pictures from when I started on Tuesday to last night. I haven't uploaded any today.

I bought 6 bottles on Tuesday. I used 4 of them when SLAMing my pool, which is now crystal clear. I passed the OCLT and the CC<.5 this morning, so I'm letting the chlorine drop down to normal levels before turning on the swcg. So, it worked perfectly well for me and I still have 2 bottles remaining.

See GeorgiaPoolOwner for pictures from when I started on Tuesday to last night. I haven't uploaded any today.

I can report the same. Also, I found bottles in my local walmart with date codes of 131.

Ollie's has "liquid pool shock" 12.25% for $2.79. Watch out that you don't accidentally pick up the anti algae stuff, though, which looks almost identical but is $4.79.

My friend did that last summer, dumped 2 gallons in her pool, and then called to ask why it was foaming. Took a while of talking it out on the phone to figure out what she had done. She went outside to check the bottle, sure enough, she had just dumped a bunch of anti-algae stuff in her pool!

I usually get the commercial grade jugs from my pool store and they are 12.5%, but the 10% stuff at Walmart for $2.50/jug is a better deal when I worked it out. I'll keep getting the Walmart stuff for as long as it is on sale for that price. Glad to see the forum peeps are using it...

As to the date codes.. just how much could it degrade over three mos? If it looses 10% of its concentration, that would still make it 9% and that is still a better deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.