Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine reading going up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine reading going up?

Hey all,

I took a sample and tested (TF-100 powder test) about 15 minutes after my pump and swg stopped running and got a reading of 4 (8 drops). An hour later (no pump in the meantime, no SWG, plenty of sunlight around lunchtime) same spot/depth in the pool tested at 6 (12 drops). Any ideas? I have also noticed that if I take a reading in the afternoon/evening shortly after the pump stops, and again in the morning around sunrise (nothing is currently running at night) I also sometimes see a rise of 1-2 ppm in the test. If the difference was only a drop or two I would call it my error, but the difference is often 4 drops or more (2 ppm)

Is this a striation/circulation issue with the pool? is it taking that long to distribute fully around the pool? Or does chlorine rise towards the surface and that's why my reading goes up after the water has been still for a while?

Readings are always taken from the same spot in the deep end (6' pool depth). I put my hand in the water up to my elbow (about 1 foot deep) and fill the sample container from there.
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine reading going up?

I take all my readings, when all chemicals mixed well and 1/2 hr before the pump shuts off.....Consistent, repeatable, accurate
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Problem with before is that my system is making chlorine so the reading will be high because of return jet location and circulation.
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Having an extra 1 or 2 ppm of FC isn't too big of a deal. There are only two options I can think of, run your pump to mix the water or brush the pool to mix your water. Take samples from a couple of places and use the lowest one to make sure FC is at target and doesn't drop below minimum.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach