Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendation for very simple pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

Recommendation for very simple pump

Hi all,
    we have two pools that are connected by an overflow. I have installed a saltwater generator on the "top" pool (instead of the existing tab chlorinator that was there) so the "lower" pool gets its chorine from water exchange with the "top" pool. This is all handled by a dedicated 0.75 HP pump which is getting long on the tooth and starting to make a fair amount of noise as well as not being particularly energy efficient. Do you have a recommendation for a low speed, quiet pump that would minimize energy costs? I don't mind running the pump 24/7, so that there is good mixing of the water in the 2 pools, but it makes sense to minimize the energy used. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

IG plaster pools built in 1985 (?): 16k(?) gallons lap pool (62'x8') connected by a spillover to 17k(?) gallons squarish pool (22.5'x18'). DE filters Pentair NS-48(x2), polaris 280 (non-functioning). Inline chlorinator [removed!] -> Circupool Si60 SWCG [Newly self installed March 2016!]. Recently acquired dolphin nautilus+ [Summer 2015]. Still figuring out what else I have and how things work.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Recommendation for very simple pump

I would probably get this pump and run it on low most of the time. Pentair SuperFlo Pump 340042. Pentair 340042.

Or if you are interested in a variable speed pump with a built in timer this is the one, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

I have a 3hp VS pump and I run it at 1100 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine with the SWG. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. At 10.25c/kWh I can run my pump 24x7 for 12 bucks a month.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach