Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump taking a long time to prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump taking a long time to prime

My pool pump was getting louder and I could hear splashing so I replaced the lid O-Ring which I knew was worn. The pump is now quiet again, however, takes several minutes to primes vs. a minute or less prior. I have researched the forum and I know the numerous issues that can cause this. (check valve, pump drain, valve seals, etc.) I am trying to start from the most obvious / simplest first. Here are some additional clues:

1. My pump basket was stuck for no reason and would not come out for months. I was thinking about cutting it out and getting a new one. The day I was replacing the O-ring, the basket came right out. Didnít know it has a drain under it, will look for it tonight.
    2. Spa has been draining about 8 inches between pump cycles and overnight (leaky check valve?) This has been happening for over a year now
    3. This morning I was fortunate to notice 10 minutes after programmed start that the pump hadnít primed yet. I turned it off, waited a few minutes and restarted it and it primed within seconds However, there was a lot of air being pushed out of the inlets in the spa (my main return)
    4. I used the pool vacuum for the first time
    5. I have an in floor cleaning system, which has floor jets in the SPA as well. I do not know if it has a separate check valve and where it would be located.
    6. The in floor cleaning system stopped working months ago. I found that the motor works but where it screws into the base is broken. So I removed this assembly months ago from the Caretaker 8-port valve.

Thanks
    30k Gal, IG, PebbleTec, Jandy: CL460 Cartridge Filter, SHPM2.0 Pump (Filter+Spa), SHPM1.5 (Waterfall), spill-over SPA, PLC1400 SWG, LXi400 Heater. Polaris Caretaker Infloor Cleaning system, Jandy PDA-PS-8 remote, Taylor K-2006 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump taking a long time to prime

Pump won't prime again this morning. The system is fully automated so I have not paid attention to valves and their positions before. One of them is at 45 degrees while the rest are open/closed (picture attached)
    Attachment 47634
    30k Gal, IG, PebbleTec, Jandy: CL460 Cartridge Filter, SHPM2.0 Pump (Filter+Spa), SHPM1.5 (Waterfall), spill-over SPA, PLC1400 SWG, LXi400 Heater. Polaris Caretaker Infloor Cleaning system, Jandy PDA-PS-8 remote, Taylor K-2006 Test kit