Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Test

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Test

Here are the results of my first test. Its not pretty.

Fc/Cc no reading as I put 35 drops and it never changes color.

CH 1375

TA 230

CYA 100

CL 5+ (orange color)

PH 8.2

My pool usually takes about 1 cup of muriatic acid a week, I added last Sunday. At that time I slammed the pool with old 12.5% liquid chlorine 4 gal worth. I added more chlorine on Wednesday.

From the results I guess I have to change the water. I will pump half out today and then test tomorrow..
    15,000 ig, pebble tech,sand filter,remodeled in 2007. Glendale, Az
    TF100 w SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st Test

Take equal parts tap water and pool water and mix. Then use this as your pool water portion to re-test that CYA, doubling the results.

You may very well be quite a bit over 100 as the test taps out at that number.

How does your water look? How do your pool walls appear- got any scale developing? How do you normally chlorinate?

A SLAM is not a one-time dose of chlorine, its a procedure and it requires you to keep the FC at the proper level until 3 steps are completed:
    1-pool is cler
    2-over night chlorine loss test is 1 or less
    3-CC's measure at 0.5 or less
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Water is clear, no scale on side walls but there is some green, needs to be re brushed. I shall correct my previous statement and shocked the pool last Sunday.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I had to look at your other thread to see what test kit you were using. Please at that to your signature.

Was the FAS-DPD chlorine test starting as pink? If so, you just did not add enough drops. You only got up to 17.5ppm and the color of your OTO (yellow) chlorine test means it is likely up in the 20s.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I started to drain the pool, used the back was and then a small pump,but I forgot to shut off the auto water fill. Didn't notice it until an hour had passed. LOL...

I redid the CYA as you suggested and the reading dropped to 70. So if I double that then its at 140..
    TF100 w SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by az240z View Post

I redid the CYA as you suggested and the reading dropped to 70. So if I double that then its at 140..
    ouch. yeah, that's gonna have to be dealt with.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I was going to drain 1/3 of pool but I guess I'll do 1/2..
    TF100 w SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by az240z View Post
    Well I was going to drain 1/3 of pool but I guess I'll do 1/2..
    If it were mine, I would do a full drain, your CYA may be 140, but just in case it is off 20 or so you still may end up with 80? or maybe more, when your CYA gets that high and even if you do the dilution could be off, also if your CH really is that high, again a 1/2 drain will only bring that down by 1/2.

I just did a full drain/refill, I was dealing with high CYA 150?, also my CH was rising about 25 or so per month and getting higher than I wanted, now I feel I have much better control of my pool water.
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I think the more you drain the better. Your CH is astronomical which would warrant replacing water even if your CYA was not also too high.

Ground water is not an issue for you, so the pool will not float if you drain a lot.

Best to be done at night when the sun is not shining on the pool surface and does not hurt to try to keep the pool surface damp.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

We just got a downpoor so the sides are staying damp. I have a small pump, 1250 gal per hour, so 13-14 hours of pumping to get it empty. And 2 days of filling. Gonna have to put the catch a kid back on as the grandkids are coming for Mothers Day.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Next question, Once the pool is empty and then refilled do I do all the tests??
    TF100 w SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, except CYA, there is no CYA in tap water. Add 30 ppm of CYA in a sock and hang it in front of a return and SLAM the pool, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Its 5:00AM and its still not empty.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

14. Back To Top    #14

swimming pool water level.jpgCurrent pool level. I think I'm gonna pull the plug on the drain and start filling.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Sounds good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Pools is almost filled. I put some stabilizer in a sock and put the hose into it,got about 1/2 of it into pool as it was filling. I would think there will be a small CYA reading.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

17. Back To Top    #17

Pool is just about full. Here are the results of the test, I added 2.4 lbs of stabilizer while the pool was filling.

FC 3.5
    CC 1.0
    Ch 550
    TA 150
    CYA 50
    PH 7.5
    CL poor light but I'm thinking 3.

On the face of it the drain and refill worked. Considering the pool is in Sun all day I think the CYA is ok.
    CC is a little high. Ch level??
    TF100 w SpeedStir

18. Back To Top    #18

Seems reasonable. Your tap water might have cc in it from the supply. Did you test your two water for CH?

Get that FC up a bit too. With the CC, maybe shoot up toward shock level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

No I didn't test the tap water for ch, I tried to bring it up to shock level but I went over. Its at 26, I was aiming for 20. I'll check it in the morning.
    As for the CH the level is the same as before the drain.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

20. Back To Top    #20

Looking at your first post, your CH dropped from 1375 to 550 , right?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast