Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some help with in-laws pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some help with in-laws pool

I don't have my test kit so the results are from a Walmart kit. Anyways. Their pool is a 10k gallon above ground pool. It seems to be a shade of green and I can hardly see the bottom. Yesterday I added some Muriatic acid because the test kit showed it to be higher than ph8.4 below are the current results from the cheap kit. Any advice?

FC 3
    pH 7.5
    TA 40
    TH 100
    CYA 30-50
    20yr old,14k,IG,Plaster,Hayward Pro-Grid 60sqft, Hayward DE Separation tank, Hayward Multi-port Valve, Whisper-flo single speed 1.5hp pump,Hayward XL concrete pool suction vacuum, Polaris P340 (Leslies Pool model), Still working to get a test kit, Leslies Power Powder and Leslies 3" Tabs.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some help with in-laws pool

First order is to get a better test kit, then you need to SLAM the pool. Have to have a FAS-DPD test that comes with a TF-100 or K-2006 test kit to complete the SLAM procedure properly. Until the kit shows up you could add up to 1/2 gallon of bleach per day, but need proper testing to complete.

After that, they need a maintenance plan for themselves unless you plan on SLAMing the pool every other week all summer long...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Get that test kit ordered STAT! You (or the in-laws) are going to need to SLAM that pool and that requires accurate testing.

TF-100 is my preferred kit (TFTestkits.net ) but you can find the Taylor's K-2006 online there too or elsewhere. Do not accept the K-2005, its not the same and is missing the FAS-DPD chlorine test you'll need.

Until the test comes add a gallon of bleach in daily and brush. It won't fix all the green but it will stun it a bit

addendum: Joel obviously types faster than me.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a test kit but it's 6hrs away.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by abishoff View Post
    I have a test kit but it's 6hrs away.
    If the in-laws have a pool, they need their own test kit. How have they been testing up to this point?

Have you put some bleach in to get that FC up?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain