Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some help with in-laws pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some help with in-laws pool

I don't have my test kit so the results are from a Walmart kit. Anyways. Their pool is a 10k gallon above ground pool. It seems to be a shade of green and I can hardly see the bottom. Yesterday I added some Muriatic acid because the test kit showed it to be higher than ph8.4 below are the current results from the cheap kit. Any advice?

FC 3
    pH 7.5
    TA 40
    TH 100
    CYA 30-50
    20yr old,14k,IG,Plaster,Hayward Pro-Grid 60sqft, Hayward DE Separation tank, Hayward Multi-port Valve, Whisper-flo single speed 1.5hp pump,Hayward XL concrete pool suction vacuum, Polaris P340 (Leslies Pool model), Still working to get a test kit, Leslies Power Powder and Leslies 3" Tabs.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some help with in-laws pool

First order is to get a better test kit, then you need to SLAM the pool. Have to have a FAS-DPD test that comes with a TF-100 or K-2006 test kit to complete the SLAM procedure properly. Until the kit shows up you could add up to 1/2 gallon of bleach per day, but need proper testing to complete.

After that, they need a maintenance plan for themselves unless you plan on SLAMing the pool every other week all summer long...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Get that test kit ordered STAT! You (or the in-laws) are going to need to SLAM that pool and that requires accurate testing.

TF-100 is my preferred kit (TFTestkits.net ) but you can find the Taylor's K-2006 online there too or elsewhere. Do not accept the K-2005, its not the same and is missing the FAS-DPD chlorine test you'll need.

Until the test comes add a gallon of bleach in daily and brush. It won't fix all the green but it will stun it a bit

addendum: Joel obviously types faster than me.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a test kit but it's 6hrs away.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by abishoff View Post
    I have a test kit but it's 6hrs away.
    If the in-laws have a pool, they need their own test kit. How have they been testing up to this point?

Have you put some bleach in to get that FC up?
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain