Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck joint

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck joint

Hi,

My in ground pool was built 2 years ago and I have a concrete deck. I recently noticed that one side of the pool has no expansion joint between the slab and the coping. So far, I have had no cracks, but I am concerned it could crack the pool. Shall I cut an expansion joint at this point, or shall I consider that if I haven't had any issue so far, it should be ok ? What would you do ?
    I am in Florida, lowest temp around 32F.
    Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck joint

Welcome to TFP!

How wide is the deck in that area? And what is on the other side of it? If it isn't too wide and doesn't butt up against a non-movable surface on the other side then I am inclined to leave it since there have been no issues, you don't freeze and probably have sandy, fairly well draining soil.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks.

It's about 4 feet, then I have a drain, then another 4 feet to another concrete slab, then a joint and another 4 feet of concrete. (hope it makes sense).
    So I guess I have enough joints that it can expand to ?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, makes sense. Sounds OK to me.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach