Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New In Town, Need Some Help Please!

1. Back To Top    #1

New In Town, Need Some Help Please!

Just found the group today & so glad I did! We bought our new house last October with an inbound pool, this is a first for us as weíve never had a house with a pool. I think Iím past the learning curve with the chemicals as I get the water tested weekly & itís usually pretty good.

Problem Iím having is with cloudiness. We had some plaster work done last month & it was a little dusty & cloudy for a week then seemed to clear up. Well we finally swam in it last weekend for the first time & that night it was super cloudy like canít even see the bottom. So everyday this past week I brush it in the morning & brush it in the evening & add a polymer clarifier to no avail. When I come home it looks a little better then start brushing and looks like big white plumes erupting up like as volcano. Is this normal as we swim more the plaster gets kicked up? Should they have acid washed it before adding water? Pretty sure they did not do it.

Any help of tips you can give? Iím so frustrated Iím ready to drain it fill it with sand & make a giant sand box lol.

Phil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New In Town, Need Some Help Please!

You make no mention of "how much" plaster work was done and how the new plaster was treated while it was in the curing process...(it still IS btw). Brushing, circulating, filter cleaning, and PH maintenance is all part of the process. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    You make no mention of "how much" plaster work was done and how the new plaster was treated while it was in the curing process...(it still IS btw). Brushing, circulating, filter cleaning, and PH maintenance is all part of the process. Welcome.
    Sorry we had the whole pool re-plastered. Not sure if it was treated I'm leaning towards no.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Tell us about your pool and equipment by adding it to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

More on plaster start up here, Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Generally, you need to brush daily and run your filter 24x7 the first couple of weeks until the plaster dust settles down. This will require regular filter cleaning/backwashing depending on what kind of filter you have. Run the pump on low speed if it is a 2 speed pump or at a low RPM if it is a VS pump.

We are not in favor of weekly trips to the pool store. Here is how we maintain pools, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach