SWG plaster pool....couple basic chemistry questions

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Finally got my new salt cell in, so therefore I can adjust my CYA now that I can produce chlorine at a sufficient rate. My current chemistries are below:

pH 7.4 - (Can I keep this around 7.2-7.4 range or is that too low?)...I have a little scale buildup and was trying to keep it on the lower side to help prevent that.
TA 40 - (I was going to bump this up to 60 or should I take it to 70?)
CYA 35 - (I was planning on bringing it up to 70 and target 5 for FC.)
CH 140 - (Should I bump this to 200 or 250 beings it's a plaster pool?)...Just bought 12 lbs of Calcium Hardness yesterday

Thanks!

I would only bump TA to 50 for now and see if your PH stays stable. CYA 70, yes. CH at least 250, 300 is better. Keep PH between 7.6 and 7.8 is better.

Here is the SWG water chemistry summary page, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

For your scale, you need to manage your CSI. It needs to be kept slightly negative, between -0.1 and -0.3. This is good for your plaster, your SWG and prevents scaling. Poolmath calculates your CSI when you input your test results. Tweak PH, TA and CH to change the number. Any combo that results in a desired CSI number is fine, but having TA higher than 60 or so will often result in rising PH, so it is preferable to keep TA low (50-60) and avoid running waterfalls and bubblers too much because they also cause PH to rise.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
And here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.