my number...do I need to do anything?

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
FC 7.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 100 ** sample turned colors and added 1 more drop (110) and the color got darker-- not sure if it would be 100 or 110
CH 110
CYA 100

I am going to be doing a few drain and refills over the next few weeks.

I know I need to raise the FC up to around 10. If we are going to swim this afternoon, should I raise now or wait until after we swim?

What about the TA? Should I bring it down to 70-90 (numbers from thepoolcalculator.com)?

Would the pH or TA have an effect on eye irritation? We've been swimming everyday and my son's eyes got red and inflamed. Yesterday he had a couple of blood vessels that looked very inflamed. Today they are still showing on one of his eyes, but not as bad. I told him that today he would need to wear his goggles when swimming.

Any feedback or suggestions?

Nothing in your test results suggest anything that might cause eye irritation.

On the TA test, if the color keeps changing you keep adding drops. When you add a drop and it doesn't change the color then you stop and don't count the final drop. So you TA level is at least 110.

Your TA level is most likely fine where it is. I would only change it if you have problems with the PH constantly going up.

A PH of 7.5 is ideal for swimming and shouldn't cause eye irritation. Eye irritation usually starts when PH gets down to 7.2 or lower.

I am concerned about your CYA level. First, it could be higher than 100 since most of the common tests read values higher than 100 as 100. Second, CYA levels over 80 tend to cause problems, more so as the CYA level goes higher. I strongly recommend replacing water until CYA is below 100 and preferably down around 50.

I decided to go ahead and work on the CYA even if I'm moving. I'm draining some water out and will stop and add water while we are swimming. I will then work tomorrow to lower some more. I don't have a pump so I have to use the two water hoses I have. It's a slow process. I'm going to ask a couple of neighbors, but I doubt I'll find a pump.

I'm pretty certain that the 100 number is right. I've lowered it a good bit already (since last fall). I wish I had done this before it was too swim season. Oh well, I guess if I drop the hoses in the morning and drain for a while, I can add water back in when we swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.