Draining Pool??

I have an apparent high CYA level 151, confirmed at pool store twice. The previous home owner left multiple pucks in skimmers and floating chlorinator. I have two friends who both "gasped" when I told them my apparent level. I ordered a TF-100 yesterday. One friend said I will have to drain off "some" of the water. Another friend who used to take care of pools said "all" and scrub the plaster walls, rinse and drain off residual. I've heard horror stories about draining pools and causing thousands of dollars worth of damage from pools floating out of the ground. Suggestions?

Pool store testing of CYA is notoriously bad. I suggest waiting on the TF-100 before doing anything. IF those results are close, you are looking at 2-3 partial drains and refills, nothing dramatic.

I agree, Your CYA may be high but it is unknown until you get your test kit... When you do the test if it hits 100 it is probably higher than that..

Take 1 quart pool water and 1 quart tap water and mix, then use that water to test your CYA and see what you get.

her is an example: say its 70, it would be 70x2= 140 CYA

are you still on water rationing in WF? it is suppose to rain this weekend here, just up the road :) looks like your having a 40% chance of rain on Sun, can you drop you water 6 inches and let it fill back up? if it does not fill back up all the way you can add some... every little bit of water replacement will help dropping your CYA...

awesome, give you some help :)

If you add 2 gallons of bleach before you do it (effectively taking to SLAM level or close) you have a better chance of not turning green while your pump is off, then you can hopefully get some rain water and have to fill less using tap water :)

isn't it great seeing full lakes and ponds...

It is an awesome sight! I didn't think Arrowhead or Kemp would ever recover. But they are at full capacity. It was to the point that we were seriously looking at moving to greener pastures. I'll dump some liquid bleach in tomorrow morning, then start the process in the afternoon. Thanks again!

Okay...my test kit came in Saturday and I promptly began draining off roughly 4000 gallons. On Friday, I SLAMed the pool with 2 gallons 8.25% bleach. Here are my numbers after re-fill and testing:
FC 16
Tot ALK 120
CH 350
CYA 100
pH 7.0

CYA level is still too high, but I'm opposed to draining off anymore H20 than I have to. Suggestions moving forward?

You can SLAM with a 100 CYA, you are going to use a lot of chlorine/bleach because the SLAM level is so high..

What is your CC now
Your pH is a little low but I think it will raise during your SLAM...

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Is your pool showing algae?

Adding 2 gallons of bleach isn't a SLAM, you just stunned the algae a bit but didn't *maintain* the required SLAM level long enough to do them in before they multiply.

You need to re-test that CYA again using equal parts pool water and tap water. Then double the results. You may still need to drain again, sadly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I poured in two gallons of bleach on Friday, prior to my 50% drain on Saturday as recommended on this forum to prevent the pool water from turning green. So it really wasn't a SLAM as defined by this website. Disappointed my CYA level is still high. I will retest ASAP and go from there.

^^^ I agree, if your pool is passing the OCLT then you do not have to SLAM, Knowing is half the battle, you now know your CYA level and it will go down slowly as you backwash and fill over the summer.

Once we know what your CYA is you just keep FC at that level :)

You are doing great, I just want to confirm 1 thing, when you say 100+ CYA, does that mean at 100

Did you do the CYA test with 1 quart pool water and 1 quart tap water and use that as your CYA water, you would do the following example with your number.

say 70 CYA multiply by 2 = 140 CYA with the diluted mixture.

If your CYA actually is 100 then 12 is your target level :)

If you mixed a quart of water, with a quart of pool water, and your black dot test says 100, then you have a CYA of 200.

I am am brand new to this site, and only joined about 2 weeks ago. I got on because of a CYA issue, and mine was at around 600. Even after 2 partial drains, where I got my level into the 200's, I did a 6 times dilution to get my reading (1 part pool, 5 parts tap). But, the pros here helped me through this, and I am now at a CYA of 45!

You are at the right place for help.

BTW.....When my CYA was over 600, the pool store told me mine was 151 too.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.