Need help with house Well Pump

Jun 15, 2015
Fort Pierce, FL
Hi guys,

I know this doesn't have much to do with my pool, but I am having some issues with my pump at home for my well and thought you guys are so smart you might be able to help :rolleyes:

There is 0 water coming out of any faucet inside or outside my house. It doesn't sound bubbly, it doesn't pull sand, just nothing. Yesterday I replaced the pump pressure switch with an Everbilt 40/60 I got at Home Depot. Well my water turned on for I believe the afternoon. I showered and noticed that maybe the water pressure was too high, because it sounded stressed coming through the pipes so I turned the water down in my shower and it stopped making noise. (Still had plenty of water so pressure didn't seem affected).

Now I have no water again so I am not sure what else to check. None of my breakers tripped and the pump itself is only about 3 and a half years old.

Any ideas what else I can do to troubleshoot?

Making noise coming through the pipes sounds more like air than too much pressure. Do you have a pressure gauge on your system? What does it read? Is this a shallow well with the pump above ground or a deep well with the pump down in the casing?

Must be a shallow well because my pump is above ground. There is a pressure gauge but it reads 0. Once I replaced the switch the pump immediately turned on and drew water into the tank, and worked for a while. I am thinking maybe the pressure is set too high for my pump and I need to adjust the switch to perhaps start at 20 and turn off at 40. currently its at 40/60.

If the pressure was set too high, the pump would be trying to run all the time. Try cycling power to the pump in case a thermal overload is tripping.

Does your tank have a valve on it that looks like a tire valve stem? If so, you may want to measure the air pressure there. Should be close to 38psi. It's normally set just a little below the turn on pressure setting for the pump.

How do I cycle power to the pump? before I changed the switch I could get it to turn on by manually moving the contact that opens to turn the pump on with the edge of the box that houses it. I could try that with the new one. Just don't want to electrocute myself lol.

I haven't seen a valve that looks like a tire valve stem but I will check it this afternoon.

Ok thanks. I have been trying to find which breaker it is because my panel is probably 30 years old and the labels are either handwritten in pencil and almost transparent or nonexistent. I have just been turning off the main breaker when working on it so as to not kill myself.

When the pump does manage to turn on (when I flip the switch manually) it pulls tons of water and I have good pressure. But it won't kick on when it's supposed to, so the tank drains and then I don't have water.

I called my water softener people and they're going to come diagnose (for $75) but they think it may be my pump (only 3.5 years old)

They quoted me $500 to have the pump replaced and installed :/ So I guess we will see this afternoon.

so they came over and changed my switch (again) said the one I had was defective. charged me the $75 service call and $25 for the switch so I guess that's fine. Just sucks i could've just replaced the switch again myself if I thought of that, but I guess that's why people charge, for their knowledge. Lol. Thanks to you guys for trying to help JohnT and banditig.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are several different types of water well setups, can you post a photo or two of what you have, and maybe brands and model numbers also.

Ooops missed the last message, that is what I get for walking off after loading the message and not reloading before typing the reply (getting ready for a pool party here tomorow)

so they came over and changed my switch (again) said the one I had was defective. charged me the $75 service call and $25 for the switch so I guess that's fine. Just sucks i could've just replaced the switch again myself if I thought of that, but I guess that's why people charge, for their knowledge. Lol. Thanks to you guys for trying to help JohnT and banditig.

Well, I hate that because if you had gotten the power shut off I was going to suggest jumping across the switch to see what was going on. I guess on a Friday afternoon you can't mess around with having no water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.