Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Perfect Weekly?

1. Back To Top    #1

Perfect Weekly?

So, a long long time ago (like a month ago) I stepped into the local pool supply looking for help getting started with my pool and the guy working the desk was nice enough, said I should get some chlorine tablets and a product called Perfect Weekly. He said this triple-action additive would help keep the pool chemistry and water nice and clear as long as I put three capfuls (about 1.5 cups) in weekly. Now, this stuff is $50/gal and I really haven't seen any mention of it around here. I feel like I've been duped. Is this really necessary?
    10,000 Gal IG Pebble Stone Pool/Spa/Water Fall Feature/Pool Cleaner Built in 1992
    Hayward DE6020 60 Sq. Ft. DE Filter
    Hayward Northstar 2HP 2-Speed Pump
    Test Kit: TF100 with Speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Perfect Weekly?

Oh course it is not necessary

I would have to go Google what it even is, but I am sure it is not needed.

You really need to be careful about the use of tablets too since we do not drain for winter or get a lot of rain around here due to the climbing CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

well yes, they got you to buy a solar shield (chemical bubble cover) and a phosphate remover and some kind of enzyme thing... it is not going to hurt anything except your wallet, and If you have your FC at the correct level for your CYA you will not need any of that.. If you do want a solar cover to warm your pool and slow evaporation get an 8 mil cover

You have the best weapon for great water, the TF100 and you have the speedstir, nice job! (I love that thing)
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

I kinda had the feeling like I was buying something I didn't need, especially since he told me 3 capfuls each week, which, according to the directions on the bottle, is 3 times as much as recommended, but I really didn't know anything so I just went with it. So should I not use the tablets at all? I've been religiously replacing them weekly because my chlorine just goes away really fast. I typically throw in a bag of granular chlorine every Friday evening and by Wednesday the chlorine is down to like 2 ppm. I know now that that's partly because my PH was out of control (thanks TF100) but is this also relatively normal for pools in AZ?
    10,000 Gal IG Pebble Stone Pool/Spa/Water Fall Feature/Pool Cleaner Built in 1992

5. Back To Top    #5

If your CYA is low, the tabs will be OK to use. If your CYA is high, you're going to compound the problem. I keep a few tabs around for my vacation week so I can meter them in and not trouble others to follow my crazy TFP method of doing things. Whoever heard of adding bleach to a pool?
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

6. Back To Top    #6

You have the best test kit. Post up some test results. Have you been monitoring your cya?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

My test results from yesterday:

FC - 2 (still at 2 today, didn't add chlorine yesterday because I added acid late afternoon)
    CC - 0
    TC - 2
    PH - 8.2 (down to 7.6 today after adding acid according to PoolMath)
    CH - 300
    CYA - 50
    TA - 200

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

The target FC level for your CYA of 50 is 6, so you want to add chlorine to get to that level and then try and maintain that. At the moment you are below the minimum FC so this needs to be dealt with ASAP.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Yup, need FC asap and you need to stop using tablets because your CYA is getting high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

You can add acid and bleach on the same day. Just add one, brush the pool then add the other and brush to mix.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

therockaz, I'll go one step further .... while you already answered what your conscience was telling you at the pool store, and now you know to raise your FC, you have something else to consider.... calcium. Your pH is rising fast because your TA is exceptionally high. I'm VERY surprised your CH itself is so low for your local area. You are very fortunate... at the moment. But your high TA and pH will cause you to get scale build-up before you know it. You have a fountain, so do this .... Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. Lower that TA as soon as you can via this acid/aeration method of adding acid followed by aeration. Continue this until you get your TA down to something around 80-100 or so, then leave your pH around 7.6-7.7. The lower TA will help keep your pH from rising so fast, and at the same time they will help prevent scale. Remember, some of those pool store products also add calcium.

Next time you're in the Poolmath Calculator, do me a favor ... enter ALL of your numbers in the NOW and TARGET/GOAL column. Then look at the CSI row about halfway down. I bet that CSI number is slightly over 0.6 correct? According to me it is. That puts you at risk for scale. Lower the pH to 7.7 and the TA to 100 and you'll see the CSI goes way down to about -0.15 (just below neutral). Over time, with replacement (hard) fill water, your CH is going to rise, so keeping the TA and pH at that those levels would be a good thing for you. Something to keep in mind okay.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

In case no one else thinks to mention this...

If the test kit is new, the R-009 TA reagent often develops static electricity which makes the drops smaller than they should be, which makes the TA read higher than reality. The cure is to wipe the tip with a damp paper towel between drops. Just for the first couple tests.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

You have this, you have spidy sense You knew something was up with buying that stuff and you already have the TF100 and the speedstir...

Everyone already gave you great info, you can add liquid chlorine/bleach brush some, add muriatic acid, brush some, then check you levels and see where you are at

You can get liquid chlorine in larger quantities and stronger 10% or 12.5% from a hasa dealer near you, http://hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

14. Back To Top    #14

Okay, so I've been doing the acid/aeration deal and I successfully got my FC under control (about 5.5 last I check, I added a little more bleach just a little while ago). Here's another quick question, as I would like to eventually be able to actually use the pool, do I have to wait four hours after adding any chemicals before it's safe to swim?

15. Back To Top    #15

LOL, no, try like 15 minutes or so
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by therocksaz View Post
    Okay, so I've been doing the acid/aeration deal and I successfully got my FC under control (about 5.5 last I check, I added a little more bleach just a little while ago). Here's another quick question, as I would like to eventually be able to actually use the pool, do I have to wait four hours after adding any chemicals before it's safe to swim?
    Half an hour with the pump on should be plenty. If you make a quick lap around the pool with the brush after adding, you can jump in as soon as you're done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!