Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A little green above the water level.

1. Back To Top    #1

A little green above the water level.

There a couple of spots on the wall of my pool that gets direct sunlight for a good portion of the day, and I'm noticing some green tint in the grout, but it's above the water level line. How do I manage this and keep it from spreading into the pool? That's the only green the pool's seen in 6 months! Is this common?
    ~12,000gal. plaster, in-ground pool; Hayward cartridge filter; 1hp pump; Use Taylor 2006 kit w/ Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: A little green above the water level.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer whether it's common or not.

You can always spray some bleach on it and scrub with an old toothbrush, then rinse with pool water. That should remove it.

Maybe also post a full set of test results for us to look at. How does the water look overall?
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, good plan. We get a little of that under the waterfall sometimes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an above ground pool and have to clean under the lip each year. I just walk around and spray with 50/50 bleach water then walk around with a brush then spray it all down with the hose. Good to go for another year.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Once in a while I get some green right above the water line on the grout inside the skimmer throat. I just brush it off and raise the water level an extra half inch or so.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like I need to get some bleach and elbow grease and get to work! Thanks!
    ~12,000gal. plaster, in-ground pool; Hayward cartridge filter; 1hp pump; Use Taylor 2006 kit w/ Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Uhmm..... what are you using to chlorinate the pool with? Liquid chlorine=bleach
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment