Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine keeps rising

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine keeps rising

New to this but we have an automatic cover that has been on since opening the pool back in mid april. The pool has not been used but i monitor it throughout the week. The chlorine levels started at 4-5 and raised to 6 during first week so i turned down the chlorinator to .5(was at 1.5 from pool company that opened). Over last few weeks it is now up to 7.5. Should the chlorinator be off since pool is not in use? I assume since the cover is on and the chlorinator is on is why it is slowly rising, since it is not evaporating or eating up anything? If the cover was off would i leave the chlorinator on?
    36,000 Gallon, 40x20 IG, Vinyl, Hayward S- 200 Sand Filter, 300,000 MasterTemp heater, 1hp Superpump, Polaris 9550 sport, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine keeps rising

Is it a liquid or tablet chlorinator? Whoops, never mind. I missed that in your signature.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked your previous posts and I don't see any mention of you having a recommended testkit. What are you using to test?

3. Back To Top    #3

If this is about your 3" tab feeder, then the pool cover is protecting the FC from the sun and your feeder is making more, so that would explain the rise. At the same time though, your tablets are also increasing your CYA to what could be dangerous levels that could ultimately result in a partial drain. Please reconsider the use of that tab feeder on a normal daily basis and switch to liquid chlorine (regular bleach) to avoid that problem. You can also see more about this in the Pool School link below. Have a nice evening.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought the revommended test kit on here

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Bhubb - TS has you covered on your immediate situation - you're adding to much chlorine (and in a way that has bad side effects). I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent - feel free to zone out if you'd like.

One item to note with an autocover and using bleach it that you will have to open the pool daily to test, add chemicals, mix and then recover (after at least 30 minutes of mixing - don't want to close up an unmixed pool - bad for cover). This is one (of many) of the reasons why I find our SWG so handy. I test and then adjust the salt cell or pump runtime. No need to open cover. Not that opening the cover each day is such a hassle (quite easy), but the extra cycles on the ropes/pulleys (mine have been a bit finicky) are something I limit if possible. I do open every 4th day or so (during spring/fall when cover is on every day) to air out the pool and use that time to add my acid to lower pH which my SWG causes to rise due to the aeration via the bubbles produced in the process of making chlorine gas. With a pool that large (probably top 5% of all residential pools), a SWG would be an ideal way to chlorinate. You'd ideally want the Pentair IC-60 (60K gallons). We recommend going 2-3x the number of gallons you have for the most cost efficient way to purchase them. The largest Hayward is the T-15 rated for 45K gallons.

Just some food for thought. If you'd like to explore more you can ask further anytime.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!