Drought conditions in Central California

Jun 21, 2015
Madera, CA
I'm interested in using less water and thought a pool cover would reduce vaporization. Does anyone know if a cover would work and, if so, would the savings be significant enough for the expense and bother? Also, would a cover affect / effect (never could remember which is correct) chemicals and algae?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes a cover will reduce evaporation. Although I am not sure how much water you will actually save ... depends on how much usually evaporates ;)
I doubt it would be a very noticeable reduction in your water bill if that is what you mean.

The cover will help protect the chlorine from the sun. It will also make the pool warmer by preventing the evaporation.

You will not get algae if you maintain the proper chlorine levels that are dependent on your stabilizer (CYA) level according to the FC/CYA Chart. This is where what we teach likely is vastly different from what you have learned from pool stores. A little reading and learning about TFP might save you money and give you better water.

It may just be marketing by those who make the covers but I have read in several places a pool with a regularly used cover will loose less water to evaporation than a lawn of the same square footage. My city must believe it because they require a blanket for a new build or replaster.

See if you can get a pool demo cover, then use it for a month and see what it is like to take it off, put it back on, take it off, put it back on, etc.....after about a month, the amt of water you save in evaporation will be offset by the amt of ice/mixers you use for all the margaritas you will need/consume to tolerate the change process. :dj: I would ask for local references.

Now, if you are going to not swim for 2-3 months, then you will need to make sure the cover has a chemical feeder hole or flap to treat your water...good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.