Word filter mystery

Jun 13, 2013
Greets to the staff...just a comment - is the "bad word filter" set a little overzealously? I just responded to a post and used a word which triggered it, and said word is IMHO pretty mild - instead of "crud" I used a different C word which is still (at least in my opinion) pretty mild.

I guess in the end my main concern is that the filter doesn't actually TELL You what word it's taking issue with. Typically when there's a filtered word on a vB forum it's just replaced with asterisks (fair enough), but here there seems to be a plugin of some sort that deals with it differently, and often, leaves one guessing. I wouldn't have expected "c***" would have been a "bad word", and there's been other times it's got hung up on other unexpectedly tame words, leaving me guessing what I need to change in order to get my post to submit successfully.

Thoughts?

I'm all for keeping it PG here, I appreciate that, but the "guessing game" is weird when one is trying to clean up a response in order to make it submit successfully. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY, VERY G-rated so that would trigger it..........as well as the word that means mad but starts with P LOL

I had a hard time getting used to it but just use "adult word" and "Jiminy Cricket" as needed! LOL

Kim :cat:

Yes, I've ran into problems with the P word before as well. That one left me quite frustrated honestly as I couldn't fathom that that was the problem word, and again, since the forum doesn't indicate what word it's taking issue with members are really left grasping at straws sometimes.

The default "replace with asterisks" option is way less frustrating IMHO. ;)

Cheers.

Well, this way makes users think about what they are writing and ensures they understand the kind of ship we run around here ;)

Otherwise you end up with posts with a hole **** ton of **** symbols all **** over the **** place.

We also have 0 tolerance for trying to use symbols to circumvent the language filter.

I do agree that it would nice if the add-on could point out the word in question. Maybe Lee can look into that.

Fair enough, and yes, if the add on indicated the problem word it would make life much easier.

I'm the last person that would ever post anything profanity ridden, but the C (rap) word and P (issed) were surprises that took some time to figure out initially. ;)

If you don't want your 6 year old saying it in kindergarten then don't say it here. It isn't called for and doesn't add value. I felt the same way at first and I can/do swear with the best of them. Over the years I have really come to appreciate how clean the mods and admins keep the forum. It is nice to engage in civil discourse and help people solve problems. I can honestly say that I have never gotten the bad word error message. People who know me would be shocked by that fact :-D

I'm surprised poop isn't filtered as well, Although it's been my experience as staff on a few forums over the years that the staff can be exempted via the ACP from the word filters. ;)

Edit: Appears it's not. ;)

As my dad used to say to us kids growing up -

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully."

I much prefer and appreciate the way we enforce decency here. The world is filled with too much course and crude language and behavior as it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.