Inground Vinyl Liner needs changing - Drain the whole pool???

crocop

May 5, 2016
Toronto
Hi,
New to this forum, and pools (first year), but have a question.

Bought a house with what looks like a pool that was built in 1994. The liner is VERY bad (pretty much bleached), and the current water in it (maybe 4-5 feet in the deep in), in disgusting.

I have ordered to have it measured on Monday to be fit for a new liner, and the liner will be installed 3-4 weeks after that.

The pool guy said the pool must be emptied for them to measure (or the water must be clean, but its really dirty right now).

Will there be any issues if I empty the pool, and leave it empty for 3-4 weeks, keeping in mind its to get a new liner installed?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There is a chance that the bottom surface could be messed up if you leave the pool empty. Although maybe fixing that is part of the quote to install the new liner? Might want to ask.

To be safe, you could drain it for the measuring and then refill it putting at least 1 foot of water in the shallow end while waiting for the new liner. Hopefully it will not rip when you are trying to refill.

Pretty sure they take care of anything needed once they see the condition under the liner, but do ask them.

Jason's suggestion is a good one if you don't know your water table. Also ask the pool co.

I was in this exact situation last September. (Liner had been installed in 1992, lasted 23 years somehow)

Here's my rehab thread: Sold house with a pool, bought another house...with a pool

Do you know where your water table is?

I knew my pool was well above the water table by 12 feet so no issues there being completely empty.

How is yours constructed? Metal walls, vermiculate bottom, all concrete etc...

Also, before they spend the time to measure, try pulling the liner off the track in the shallow end and look for a serial number.
Usually they are on the shallow back wall / near or behind steps if you have them.

If you have one, the manufacturer can make a new one without needing to measure it and could save you $ 1,000 or slightly more.

Mine was missing on the liner but I have one now!

The pool co I hired did the draining for me, though there was only about 1 foot of water in the deep end.

Thanks for the info.

I am not sure what its made of (concrete, vermiculate or metal). How can I find out? Also, how do I find out what the water table is? (not even sure what this means yet).

If I drain it and leave 1 foot in the deep end, should I be fine?

Ya talk to the installers.

If you pull on your old liner in the shallow end...you should be able to see the walls and if its concrete or metal.

But it might be a good idea to have the installers do that too...maybe.

Definitely bring up to them that you might have a serial number on the liner backing.

Ya talk to the installers.

If you pull on your old liner in the shallow end...you should be able to see the walls and if its concrete or metal.

But it might be a good idea to have the installers do that too...maybe.

Definitely bring up to them that you might have a serial number on the liner backing.

And if it is concrete, then what? I am okay to drain it?

You might want to call around to the pool builders in your area. The original installer might have the specs on file and they wouldn't have to re-measure. Then they could drain, repair, and clean right before the install. Just a thought.

I am in the first step of the process of getting a new liner. Why would having the serial number of the liner save up to $1,000?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cool. I have the original specs and the manufacture and some type of code number (not sure if its the serial number). I will call them directly and find out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.