Oldest pool re-opening?

Sep 3, 2009
We have purchased a property which has an indoor, in-ground, all cement pool. The plumbing is all metal, and the pool and all equipment look like they are in good shape. The issue; the pool has not run in 20 years! I am writing off the pump/filter/heater and probably dehumidifier. The pool was built by Betz in Southern Ontario.

I think my plan is;

Inspect the cement although at first glance it all looks fine.
Look at all the plastics, replace (most likely).
Pressure test all of the lines with air ( I guess I will have to build some kind of rig for this)

I guess that's as reasonable plan for assessing the condition or is this a waste of time (a 20 year old pool left dry is a write off?)?

Looking for advice.

hey there, if it holds water and you enjoy it nothing is a write off, new equipment and wiring should get you into a pretty good place :)

You have to show us some pictures, we love old pools brought back to life :)

You probably win the prize for reopening a pool closed the longest. But there are lots of pools here that 30, 40 even 50 years old and still going. Your plan sounds good. Good luck! We need to see pics of your cool, old pool!

Most folks here open a Photobucket account (free), upload the pics, copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it in your post. This will embed the pic in your thread for easy viewing.

If the surface and plumbing are in good shape there should not be an issue running a saltwater pool. Are the old pipes copper? To me the exception would be if you had cast iron pipes, but that is unlikely.

If your pipes are copper it is even more important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. Low PH can erode copper and dissolve it into the water causing all sorts of problems.

Quick update:

Invited local pool guys out to look at the system during the home inspection. The current home owner probably felt like I was parading an army through the house with all the people I brought over. The general consensus is that the pool is in beautiful shape. Everyone going on about the quality of the construction and the fact that you don't see this kind of work done very often today. The general consensus was that getting it going again would not be a problem but we will schedule pressure testing as we get closer to taking possession of the property.

The dehumidifier is a dectron from the same era as the pool (early 80s). There must be newer/more efficient systems these days but I know squat about dehumidifiers other than the general theory.

Was told to avoid SWG as the entire building is lined in California redwood and it risks discoloration of the wood from the salt.
Was suggested that I consider bromine/ozone. No experience with that setup but I guess I will find out. Will get pictures on the next visit.

I'm not sure where they get that the salt will discolor the redwood.

An ozone or UV system is a good idea no matter what your primary sanitation system is.

I'm not sure bromine is where you want to go but I'll let the experts talk about that.

I would say since it's indoor, forego the salt. Overkill, IMHO. Plus older accessories are probably not going to be corrosion resistant.
Just do liquid... 5 min a day... test, add. Swim!
Get a low, base level of 20-30 CYA going and add your min of FC each day, you will lose very little daily because of UV destruction being eliminated.
Don't spend money on a fancy system you don't need. Those systems didn't exist when the pool was built.... I'm all about the OLD SCHOOL! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.