Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test results on new pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

First test results on new pool!

I received my TF-100 kit and completed my very first set of tests on our brand new pool.

Results:

CYA - 30
    FC - 8.5
    CC - .5
    TC - 9.0
    CH - 225
    TA - 50
    pH - 6.8

I think I did pretty well for my very first set of tests EVER!! The only one that I am a little unsure of is the TA, as I'm not quite sure what officially constitutes red. I added drops until the sample turned a darkish pink color. So, how red is the red I'm looking for?!?

So, results are in. FC stands out obviously to me based on the CYA of 30. Assume pH is a little low, so what is the next step that I need to take to get this new pool in TFPC tip-top shape??
    Outback Southport GLX AGP (18' round - 7,180 gal.)
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL Multivalve
    Hayward Dream Line Sand Filter (150 lb.)
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test results on new pool!

TA red is like Barbie pink/red, so you are good. Congrats on the first set of YOUR OWN testing. Feels good right? The only thing I would take action on right away is your pH. That's quite low and can be corrosive. Use aeration, borax, or soda ash to raise it to about 7.5. The Poolmath calculator can help. If you have any questions, just let us know. Good work!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by CPerry25 View Post
    I received my TF-100 kit and completed my very first set of tests on our brand new pool.

Results:

CYA - 30
    FC - 8.5
    CC - .5
    TC - 9.0
    CH - 225
    TA - 50
    pH - 6.8

I think I did pretty well for my very first set of tests EVER!! The only one that I am a little unsure of is the TA, as I'm not quite sure what officially constitutes red. I added drops until the sample turned a darkish pink color. So, how red is the red I'm looking for?!?

So, results are in. FC stands out obviously to me based on the CYA of 30. Assume pH is a little low, so what is the next step that I need to take to get this new pool in TFPC tip-top shape??
    Add Soda Ash or Borax to raise pH. Soda Ash will also add some TA. If you've got any leftover pool chemicals that came with it, pH up is the same stuff. Also called Soda Ash. By the way, the final color on the TA test is what I call Barbie Pink. The precise shade doesn't matter, as long as you saw it change and the last drop doesn't make any difference.

FC is easy to fix. Wait a day or two, and it'll come down. It's still well below shock level, so after you fix the pH, it's safe to swim in.

You might want to elevate CYA a little as the season goes onward. No rush.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Man, Upstate showing out lately! Woo.

pH is too low. Use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html and get that up. Everything else is fine, TA might be low but just watch what pH does over time, it might be alright.

Water looks good?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! I think I can manage that for now and see where are in a couple days on the FC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Man, Upstate showing out lately! Woo.

pH is too low. Use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html and get that up. Everything else is fine, TA might be low but just watch what pH does over time, it might be alright.

Water looks good?
    Water looks great as of now, just a little bit of what appears to be pollen maybe floating in some places. I certainly need to clean some stuff off the bottom of the pool.
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CPerry25 View Post
    The only one that I am a little unsure of is the TA, as I'm not quite sure what officially constitutes red. I added drops until the sample turned a darkish pink color. So, how red is the red I'm looking for?!?
    My TA is currently 80. At 60 it is pink, by 70 it turns hot pink, but by 80 it is BRIGHT HOT PINK! I add yet another drop and if it doesn't get any more BRIGHT HOT PINK I know I'm done and I subtract that last drop from my count.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    My TA is currently 80. At 60 it is pink, by 70 it turns hot pink, but by 80 it is BRIGHT HOT PINK! I add yet another drop and if it doesn't get any more BRIGHT HOT PINK I know I'm done and I subtract that last drop from my count.
    That's great info, thanks!

I had some pH UP so I added some to try and get the pH up in the right range. We'll see how that goes.
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

pH Up has a cheaper name in the grocery store it's called Borax or Washing Soda
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart