Hayward OmniLogic and Sense and Dispense Unit Compatibility

Apr 26, 2016
NJ
I am in the process of installing a Omnilogic and was wanting to use the Hayward Sense and Dispense unit. I got the unit (AQL-CHEM) for a good price but on looking into it further I noticed that the Omnilogic has another part number HL-CHEM.
Looking into the user manual etc makes it seem like its the same but does anyone know if the AQL-CHEM work with the Omnilogic
Connectors etc. seem the same but I believe the two units communicate via RS-485 and I was wondering if the Omnilogic will recognize the AQL-CHEm.

Thanks!

What are you going to use the Sense and Dispense to control? Realize we do not recommend the use of ORP sensors to try to control the chlorine levels in outdoor pools, especially for controlling a SWG.

FYI, I can not find any information on whether the AQL-CHEM will work with the OminLogic or not. You may need to call Hayward and ask. And report back ;)

I read the Omnilogic manual carefully again and it state in there that the AQL-CHEM is not compatible with the Omnilogic. Its interesting though that the equivalent HL-CHEM seems to be compatible with the aquarites and the omnilogics. I am pretty sure its a firmware thing on the AQL-CHEM.
To answer your question, yes want to control Chlorine levels and eventually the PH levels as well.

Does the sensor not accurately report the chlorine levels?
Thanks

It does not report chlorine levels at all. It reports ORP which can loosely be related to the chlorine levels, but the use of CYA and other factors in outdoor pools can skew the readings and make the FC level fluctuate all over the place.

So, I would recommend NOT buying the HL-Chem. If you want to control the pH, then get a separate system.

Thanks for the input. I have started reading about all this. So if I want to automate my pool chemicals are there any other options? I travel and want to keep monitoring my pool chemicals and keep adjusting them. Are there sensors available that would be more accurate?
Are there other options, any pointers or links to reading up on those would be helpful.
Thanks

It does not report chlorine levels at all. It reports ORP which can loosely be related to the chlorine levels, but the use of CYA and other factors in outdoor pools can skew the readings and make the FC level fluctuate all over the place.

So, I would recommend NOT buying the HL-Chem. If you want to control the pH, then get a separate system.

For a few thousand dollars I think you have get a better commercial sensor to monitor chlorine ;)

Are you going to have a SWG? If so, once you get it set, there is no need to fiddle with it all the time. Just leave it and travel.
If you are having a SWG, the either getting just a basic peristaltic pump to add acid on a timer would not be a bad idea, or get one with a sensor. Just that the sensor need to be calibrated and replaced.

Yes, am going to use the Hayward SWG along with the omnilogic, thats why I was thinking about the Sense and dispense.

For a few thousand dollars I think you have get a better commercial sensor to monitor chlorine ;)

Are you going to have a SWG? If so, once you get it set, there is no need to fiddle with it all the time. Just leave it and travel.
If you are having a SWG, the either getting just a basic peristaltic pump to add acid on a timer would not be a bad idea, or get one with a sensor. Just that the sensor need to be calibrated and replaced.

As an FYI:
The AQL-CHEM is recognized by the Omnilogic contrary to what is written in the user manual. On talking to hayward tech support to confirm initial reaction was yes it should work but also mentioned it will depend on which year AQL-CHEm was manufactured since the HUA might not be visible to the Omnilogic on older versions.

I just installed the OmniLogic PL upgrade kit and it says in the installation manual that the older AQL-CHEM is NOT compatible with this OmniPL upgrade. Im going to try it because the replacement to the AQL-CHEM is the HL-CHEM and they want $800 for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.