Opening numbers for the year (advice please)

I just had my pool opened yesterday, although I'm having auto cover issues so they were unable to remove the deep end plug and install the return, only the shallow end returns are in (x2). I think I may have a broken pressure gauge as it's reading 3psi, but I'm getting good strong streams from both returns. Here are the numbers from the pool store, I ended up buying Alkalinity up, which I'm probably going to just return in favor of baking soda. Appreciate any insight, thanks!

FC: 7.36
TC: 8.57
CC: 1.21
PH: 7.2
Hardness: 303ppm
TA: 49ppm
CYA: 50ppm
Borate: 42ppm
Salt: 2400

They recommended 27lb of Alkalinity up, 2 qt of Proteam Metal Magic (had a copper reading of .2ppm) and 3 bags of pool salt.

Seems like adding soda ash would help out my PH and TA numbers and then I could address the low CYA. Thoughts?

I'll be happy to critique these numbers with the understanding, if you've hung-out at TFP long enough, to know that we really don't place a lot of value on pool store testing. You could adjust an item and it be the wrong thing to do based on their testing. Owning your own proper test kit is the only way to go. Okay, that's my speech. :blah:

Here's what I say about those numbers:
- Raise pH either with aeration for a day or two or use some borax/soda ash (7.5-7.8)
- FC is slightly elevated, and I would leave it that way because your CC is also elevated. The elevated CC could be a result of your cover not allowing proper oxidation from the sun. I would work on that as soon as possible.

Leave the rest alone. Save your pool store products money and purchase either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Oops, I did it again. :blah:

Have a nice day!

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes .. SWG ... increase to 70 with granular stabilizer. :)

I'll be happy to critique these numbers with the understanding, if you've hung-out at TFP long enough, to know that we really don't place a lot of value on pool store testing. You could adjust an item and it be the wrong thing to do based on their testing. Owning your own proper test kit is the only way to go. Okay, that's my speech. :blah:

Here's what I say about those numbers:
- Raise pH either with aeration for a day or two or use some borax/soda ash (7.5-7.8)
- FC is slightly elevated, and I would leave it that way because your CC is also elevated. The elevated CC could be a result of your cover not allowing proper oxidation from the sun. I would work on that as soon as possible.

Leave the rest alone. Save your pool store products money and purchase either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Oops, I did it again. :blah:

Have a nice day!

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes .. SWG ... increase to 70 with granular stabilizer. :)

I have the TF-100 kit, but with adding and subtracting all the drops I thought it'd just be easier to let the store do it the first time. They use a computer program that is usually pretty accurate. I noticed one of my returns is pointed upward and is causing the water to bubble, maybe the guy that opened it did this to aerate? Thank you for the help!

ETA: They're supposed to come out to fix the cover today or tomorrow, said they need to dig out the box as there isn't enough room for the cover to roll up for some reason?

A return pointed upwards will help with aeration. Might be a little slow, but it's something. I know the store testing is convenient, but remember you're always taking a risk using their numbers. You have the best test kit out there, so don't be hesitant to use it and rely on YOUR numbers. If ever in doubt, ask and we'll help you through any of the tests.

A return pointed upwards will help with aeration. Might be a little slow, but it's something. I know the store testing is convenient, but remember you're always taking a risk using their numbers. You have the best test kit out there, so don't be hesitant to use it and rely on YOUR numbers. If ever in doubt, ask and we'll help you through any of the tests.

You finally encouraged me to open the box and re-read everything. Honestly the only thing I was on the fence about was the swirling, just ordered a speed stir :) have 2 questions, not sure if you'll know;

Is the only ph test the one in the blue box? Is that sufficient?

Do you know if the contents expire? Just saw I ordered the kit in 8/2014 :embarrassed:

pH test - yeah that's it. Just the comparator view. The reagents are a couple years old - that's pushing it a bit. :) Hopefully they were indoors in some A/C. But still better than the pool store testing. Some reagents like pH and TA you can get locally. Maybe even the CH. But the FAS-DPD for chlorine you'll need to order form TFTeskit.com when you get time.

pH test - yeah that's it. Just the comparator view. The reagents are a couple years old - that's pushing it a bit. :) Hopefully they were indoors in some A/C. But still better than the pool store testing. Some reagents like pH and TA you can get locally. Maybe even the CH. But the FAS-DPD for chlorine you'll need to order form TFTeskit.com when you get time.

Yep, in a cool basement :) spoke with Rebecca at TFKits and she squared me away. Thanks again for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.