Want to hire a robot this year so we can swim.

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
Hopefully, my pool details are still in my signature.

We have struggled with the Wanda the Whale that came with our used above ground pool. I don't know if it is Wanda or if there is an issue with our pump or plumbing, but Wanda would not run last year. She would run for a few minutes and then stop. Seemed like when we closed the valve a little bit then she would work for a little bit. We really want to be able to enjoy the pool this year so I am ready to invest in a robot.

Do I understand correctly that the robots do NOT use the pump and filter system of the pool? They are self contained?

This is what I would really like to have, something self contained. So what options do I need to look for? Which robot would work best for our above ground pool with a deep end in it? Would love something that can handle the slope of the deep end and not get stuck in the deep end. I just don't know where to start or what to look for. I want the best quality that I can afford. Not quite sure on my budget, but probably $500-$700ish. Will go more if I need to. Just want a clean pool for the first time!!!

Please give me some recommendations. We haven't opened our pool yet, but am ready to tackle it in the very near future.

THANKS!!!

I don't have experience with robots and AG pools but a pool that size with a deep end a robot "designed" for in-ground pools would likely be best for you. Dolphin and Aquabot make some nice robots with a few in your price range. Generally the better reviewed robots from Dolphin are closer to $1000. One thing that I'll be looking for in my next cleaner is a top-loading filter. Flipping my old TigerShark over every time I take the filters out to clean gets old and it does nothing for the looks of the top of the robot when I set it upside-down on the concrete.

The Dolphin Nautilus is one that comes to mind that might be in your price range. The regular Nautilus is an older design and they also have a newer update, Nautilus Plus. Outside of that, search the forums a bit for reviews on robot cleaners. There's A TON of options so it's hard not to get bogged down on too many choices.

Thank you for your response. I thought I had responded before, but apparently it didn't take.

Is there somewhere I can go that explains or breaks down the features of the robots? Like, I am on a website and there are filters that you can apply, inground pool vs above ground pool. Then it lists handheld, pressure side, robotic or suction side. I don't know what all of those features offer, so how do I know what to select? I can't see where it gives an explanation of what each of those are.

Any help?

THANKS!!!

If you go to the Search box in the upper right hand corner of the forums you can search the site. Typing in "robot review" gets quite a few results. Here's a few. Look through more of them.

Maytronics 12+ year Robotic Pool Cleaner User - Review (diagnostic but not limited to
Best Robotic Pool Cleaner Help!!!!

Here's one I found online. I know nothing of the website or the author (if they may have a bias for certain brands). It seems like a decent start.
Top 10 Best Pool Cleaning Robots | Heavy.com

Generally, you get what you pay for in a robot. Most $500 robots will take a couple cleaning cycles to get your whole pool, depending on size. Robots closer to $1000 will likely get 90% of your pool in one cycle. Pricier robots also tend to climb walls more reliably and get the water line and walls better. Because you have a very large above ground pool with a deep end, a robot generally recommended for inground pools with a vinyl liner will work best. You might get by with a robot designed for smaller AG pools, but it will likely take more cycles to do the job and may not climb walls as well.

JVTrain - thank you for your reply. That helps clarify things. I have still be researching and I am leading toward the Dolphin Oasis Z5. This is above the initial price point I wanted to spend, but I want a robot that can handle this pool and I don't have to baby sit it constantly. The only drawback I have seen people say about the Z5 is the longest it will run is 2.5 hours. That doesn't bother me.

I was on Epic Pool Supply's website and the chat session came up, so I asked a few questions. They steered me away from the Z5 because the suction is too strong for an above ground pool and can damage the sides by sucking them in too much. I haven't seen anybody mention that. Is this true? She instead said I should look for something that is a wheeled version, not a track version (I think that is the terminology she used).

So, does anyone have first hand experience of using the Oasis Z5 on an above ground pool. Have you had any issues? Should I be concerned about it being too strong?

I was really ready to make the purchase and now I don't know what to do. I want the best that I can buy. We have had a couple of frustrating years with our pool and have come close to taking it down and selling it. It just seems to take so much more time to keep it clean then we actually get to enjoy it. I do follow the cleaning methods recommended on TFP, but have still struggled. We are hoping this is the missing link.

Please let me know your thoughts. THANKS!!!

I have a Z5 and my pool is almost twice the size of your pool. In 2.5 hours, my pool is clean. You do not need it to run more than 2.5 hours. If you do, you walk outside, push the power button, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it back on.

I have never heard any complaints about the Z5 sucking in the sides of pools, but then I have not heard of someone using it on an above ground pool. Epic should know what they are talking about though, so you might take their advice. Did they have a recommendation?

They instead were telling me to look at the robots that have wheels on them, like the EcoJet Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner $449.00 or the EcoJet Turbo Robotic Pool Cleaner $399.00.

JVTrain above recommended that I look at a robot for a vinyl INground pool because of the size of my pool. I certainly don't want to damage my pool in any way, however, I did have myself talked in to spending that much on the Oasis Z5 because of all of the happy people on this forum that have personally used it.

Just not sure what to do now.

We have had the best success with the AquaBot Pool Rover Junior for use on above ground pools. From talking with both Maytronics and Aqua Products they suggest not to use the larger inground pool models on above ground pools as the inground robots are to heavy for the liner and tend to pull the liner which can result in liner damage. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THANKS for the replies.

I stopped in at a brick and mortar independent pool store and they had three different ones to choose from. I have tried doing research on them and my head is spinning. Changing the names on these robots is crazy!!!

The three they had were:
Aquabot Pura 4XT $499
Aquabot Rapids XLS $499 (this was an open box item and they only had one of them)
Dolphin S50 $684

I have been looking on line at the Dolphin S2-50. I think I really like that one, but need to sit down and compare them all before making a decision.

Any input on the above cleaners? It looks like the Rapids XLS had mostly good reviews, but some people had trouble with it.

THANKS!!!

My brother uses the AquaBot Rapids 4WD on his inground pool and he loves it. I'm not familiar with the Aquabot Rapids XLS but if it is the above ground pool version of the AquaBot Rapids 4WD then it would be a strong option.

Well, I decided to go with the Aquabot Pool Rover S2-50. I found it on In The Swim website and I had a source code from a catalog they had mailed to me that gave me a discount of 20% off of orders of $100 or more. That is an excellent discount!!!

Now, to wait for it to arrive and throw it in the pool when it gets here.

Will try and remember to report back in.

THANKS for the help!!!

After owning a pool for 24 years and doing my own vacuuming, decided today to get a robot. Every year I would toy with this idea, but today I did someting about. Went to my local pool store, they are a distributor for Dolphin. Was looking at the S300. but they said that was for an iGP, I have a ABG 24ft. They suggested the S50. Bought it took it home today and ran it. I don't know why I waited so long? There a lot of peple here that highly suggest Dolphin. Thw S50 is suppose to be a DYI repair type and of course I have the local pool store that does repairs. Time will tell. Good luck in your decision

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.