Pool Pump changing 110 to 220.

May 16, 2013
Barto, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an electrical question. I currently have two 110 runs into my pool house. These are split into two 110 GFI receptacles. One has a Intermatic T101? timer. I'm installing a new pump and would like to go 220v to lessen the amperage running across the two 12/2 feeds. I've ordered the T104 timer to covert the timer but I need a GFI in front of it. Its been recommended to put a sub panel in the pool house with the GFI. Ok, so here's my question, the economical approach is to buy a spa panel which is typically 50 or 60 amps with a GFI. I know the breaker won't trip but I already have 20 amp breakers on the main panel feed. Will the GFI work under this config?

I have an electrical question. I currently have two 110 runs into my pool house. These are split into two 110 GFI receptacles. One has a Intermatic T101? timer. I'm installing a new pump and would like to go 220v to lessen the amperage running across the two 12/2 feeds. I've ordered the T104 timer to covert the timer but I need a GFI in front of it. Its been recommended to put a sub panel in the pool house with the GFI. Ok, so here's my question, the economical approach is to buy a spa panel which is typically 50 or 60 amps with a GFI. I know the breaker won't trip but I already have 20 amp breakers on the main panel feed. Will the GFI work under this config?

The 50 amp breaker in the pool house will act only as a disconnect switch and the 20 amp breakers in the house will act as protection for the circuit.

However, there may be some code issues with the wiring into the PH depending on how it was done. Currently the way it is set up it is against NEC to have two or more separate circuits going into a separate structure. Are the 12-2 feeds in conduit? Can they be pulled back thru and individual THWN wires pulled back into the PH? If you are going to pursue this you will at least need to handle tie the two 20 amp breakers in the house panel. This ensures both will go off in the event of an overload. Everything that needs GFCI protection will then be on GFCI breakers in the PH sub panel or recepticles at their locations

If this were mine I would pull wiring to supply 40 amps (30 min) into a sub panel in the PH.

The 50 amp breaker in the pool house will act only as a disconnect switch and the 20 amp breakers in the house will act as protection for the circuit.

However, there may be some code issues with the wiring into the PH depending on how it was done. Currently the way it is set up it is against NEC to have two or more separate circuits going into a separate structure. Are the 12-2 feeds in conduit? Can they be pulled back thru and individual THWN wires pulled back into the PH? If you are going to pursue this you will at least need to handle tie the two 20 amp breakers in the house panel. This ensures both will go off in the event of an overload. Everything that needs GFCI protection will then be on GFCI breakers in the PH sub panel or recepticles at their locations

If this were mine I would pull wiring to supply 40 amps (30 min) into a sub panel in the PH.

I agree, long term I will trench and run new wires from the main panel to the pool house. Note: This is 100-150 ft run. And yes the current setup doesn't meet code. I have been gradually rewiring the entire house, new 200 amp main, new sub etc. My main objective is to reduce the amperage load to the pump. I may just get a two circuit sub and an20 amp gfi for the pool house and be done with it. I'm pulling out my Polaris booster pump as I bought a robot this year. Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.