Any VS pumps with open communication protocols?

Matrioux

Platinum Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Charlotte, NC.
Looking to integrate a VS pump (or full pump line) with my automation system. Are there any brands of VS Pumps that use a published or open communication protocol for selecting pump speed. I know there are some that can use separate relays for separate speeds, but i am looking for one that could be completely software controlled.

LOL, you are FUNNY!!!!

More seriously though, none that I know of and it has been asked before. It would be great if they would release that. I know I saw a thread long ago as well where someone was monitoring the serial link to try and figure it out but nothing was really figured out.

There is so much ability in most controllers today that can't be used simply because their menu interface doesn't have the options :(

I was afraid of that. I'm currently developing a automation system, but once I get that to market (if it sells) I'll look into coming up with an open-communication VS pump or maybe just a replacement motor for an existing pump housing.

If you get it figured out, and not too expensive I'd be onboard!!!

Drives me crazy that my controller has ALL logic needed. AND, OR, NOR, etc. along with all needed sensors, yet because they didn't add it to their menu options I can't set my SWG to run when main pump is on, AND it has flow, but NOT between hours of x-y.

No reason my SWG should run just because my grandson wants the fountain on. I get around it with creative wiring and relays, but I shouldn't need to.

It's like going back to the late 80's for information technology. 1200 baud modem to a BBS, lol.

Are you using off the shelf software or scripts? Just curious. I'm pretty sure you will need some type of serial interface between the software and the pump. Richard Kinch in this article appears to have done some extensive research and work in automating pool controls using Linux and serial interfaces.

Custom writing software and building a controller board using a set internal protocol but will include an open interface for integration with other home automation systems.

Because of my base system, I can integrate other communication protocols but need to determine my hardware needs so I can begin prototype production.

I'll certainly check out the link, thanks!

Very cool. If you are compiling your own software and building controller boards than this article will provide you with some hardware basis or ideas for your project.

I am a systems engineer and find this stuff very interesting. Please PM me with some details when you have your prototype laid out.

Good luck!

Hey, I was just speaking with a Vendor we use at work and he mentioned these "easy i/o" controllers he is using and building programs for. Believe he mentioned the "workbench" is internal to the controller as well. Check out the website. Easyio

Internet based Bacnet, Sedona, Modbus.....I don't see why one couldn't purchase an inexpensive vfd online and use one of these to make their dreams come true. Obviously you need to have the skills, which I presently don't. :scratch:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey, I was just speaking with a Vendor we use at work and he mentioned these "easy i/o" controllers he is using and building programs for. Believe he mentioned the "workbench" is internal to the controller as well. Check out the website. Easyio

Internet based Bacnet, Sedona, Modbus.....I don't see why one couldn't purchase an inexpensive vfd online and use one of these to make their dreams come true. Obviously you need to have the skills, which I presently don't. :scratch:

Very powerful controllers. If you could sideload software onto it lots of possibilities.

I know Jandy uses RS-485 and I believe Hayward does as well. The problem is that the actual control commands are archaic, undocumented, and change by version of the equipment (all meant to keep people from doing what we are trying to do). I will look into communication analyzers but have little hope of coming up with something that works well enough to market. I do know that someone (I have forgotten the company name) has made a controller that speaks Jandy (and I think they have one for Hayward as well).

Right now, my controller (at least the prototype) can handle just about everything from various manufactures except VS pumps. I can even use Jandy (and plan to add Hayward and possibly others before launch) salt cells with my salt controller so that if people are changing out there current systems, they don't need to re-plumb or wait for their current cell to die. That also means I don't have to manufacture my own cell.

Eventually I want to have a full line of products, but being able to integrate equipment from other manufactures will help me position for replacement/upgrades as well as new builds and make the product viable until I can get a full line into production.

I will look into the easyio items, but most pool control is relay based and not super complicated and only the few "smart" items like VS pumps and salt controllers need true communications

I have used RS-485 for many years. I have no personal interest in developing a pump automation controller, but I DO like a challenge. Not saying that I have reverse engineered some protocols in my day, but, well, you know.

I have a Pentair VS pump. I am assuming all the manufacturers' protocols are different and proprietary. Is there really any value in this endeavor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.