Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First numbers this season

1. Back To Top    #1

First numbers this season

Last year I had a lot of problems with algea at the end of last year and thanks to this forum finally got it near clear when it was time to close it. Just had it opened it couple of days ago and happy to report that it is clear. Just needed to get the debris and git out of the bottom. I also installed a new sand filter (found out old one was undersized). These are the numbers from my TF100 kit today
    FC-9.5
    CC- 0.0
    Total Alkalinity 40
    CYA 50
    PH 7.2

Any thoughts?
    Thanks everyone
    30,000 gal inground, vinyl, Hayward sand filter, 1 hp pump, Well water make up, Raypak heater w/bypass, TF100 testing kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First numbers this season

TA is a little low, everything else looks good to me!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Your TA might be just fine--see how fast your Ph rises. That will tell you.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    30,000 gal inground, vinyl, Hayward sand filter, 1 hp pump, Well water make up, Raypak heater w/bypass, TF100 testing kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Raised my TA to 110 but PH is high (Over 8) Using PH minus to bring down. Pool is very clear. Only problem is I have some brown dust on the bottom at the low end. Every time I vacuum it it's back two days later. It is so fine that if I go near it with the brush it disappears. I was trying to brush it together so I could vacuum to waste real quick. Could this be dead algae? Or is it just pollen?

6. Back To Top    #6

What are your recent test numbers? Have you been maintaining your minimum FC? Do you have a lot of pollen right now?

Best way to tell if something is growing in your pool such as algae is to perform the OCLT. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) When doing so, I recommend having your FC at 5 ppm or higher when starting the OCLT.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Train. Will do OCLT tonight and report back tomorrow.

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay. I did the OCLT starting at 8:00 last night and FC was 3.5 (didn't have time to get it over 5 but pool school says over 3 is OK for test so I did it)
    Numbers as of 7:00 this morning
    FC=3.0
    CC=.5
    TA=110
    PH=8.2
    CYA=60

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

pH needs to go down. Muriatic acid is cheaper / stronger than "pH down", can find it at Lowes or Home Depot. Avoid the "green" version.

How's the water look?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

10. Back To Top    #10

Water is clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Good. Just noticed your FC is low for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart For 60 CYA, always target 7, never below 5.

12. Back To Top    #12

Brown dust, very fine but still passed your OCLT huh? Probably too cold to get your hands on any of that stuff. Have you tried adding a little DE to your filer to see if that helps? Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

If the DE has no effect, you might find yourself needing to bump-up to SLAM level for a couple days just to see if it effects that dust at all.

Just noticed your FC is low for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart For 60 CYA, always target 7, never below 5.
    Very good point!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

I've put 3 cups of HTH D.E. Filter aid in the swimmer so far and it hasn't moved the gauge needle. Should I continue till it does? Filter and gauge are brand new.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

*Skimmer?

I would make sure it's not coming back into the pool somehow. That is a lot of DE, usually a solo cup full is enough for me. As long as you are confident your gauge is good (goes to 0 when pump off, rises slowly over time and is consistently the same post backwash) you should be ok to keep putting it in.

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah Skimmer. I'm confident gauge is good. I'll go one more cup than watch.
    Thanks Mr. B

16. Back To Top    #16

Mine takes about 3 cups to raise 1 psi, 27 inch sand filter. I usually put it in a bucket with a couple gallons of pool water. Swirl, dump slowly, rinse, repeat until bucket is clean.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

17. Back To Top    #17

Well live and learn. Before I put another cup in the skimmer I checked the gauge again. Still the same 15 PSI. Than I thought about what Mr. Bruce said about the gauge going to 0 with the pump off. So I turned it off. Went to 0. Turned it back on and boom its 17 PSI. Glad I didn't put anymore in. Vacuumed 3/4 of the pool and system spit the hose attachment off of the Skimmer. Gauge at 26 PSI. Back washed and finished vac. Back washed again. Gauge at 16 PSI. Bet it goes to 15 when it settles down. Pool is cleaner than it's been in years but have the feeling I'm going to have to do D.E. Again. And I think brown stuff is tree pollen.
    Thanks for the help. You people are a God send.