Hillsborough, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I had a really bad case of Algae when I opened up my pool last week (I am in NJ). I went a little over board and over loaded with bleach (added something like 18 gallons). I have been running my pump non stop for the past 4 days. Today I noticed the water level is 3-4 inches lower from 4 days ago. We have had cloudy weather and temps in the 50's, so I know it didn't evaporate from the hot sun. I never had this issue before and had the pool for about 9 years now. Could my over shocking it cause a leak somewhere?

What were your test results before the the addition of 18 gallons of bleach, and after? What's your CYA level in particular?

I've heard of overly high, non or under stabilized water bleaching liners but I've never heard of them causing leaks. Unless maybe if your liner was already old and damaged....? Is your liner 8 years old? It might have been on its last legs and whatever was done at opening caused a tear/leak. Did you rake out leaves or vacuum?

addendum: Why are you using CalHypo? Vinyl pools don't actually need a any/much calcium.

I would find that very unlikely. A coincidence perhaps. I'm assuming you had your pool winterized, so you had to reconnect everything and blow-out any line protection you had in there from winter. At this point, all you can do is try to isolate the source and go from there. Start with plugging all the returns, skimmer, drain, etc to see if it's just the liner or something that protrudes through the liner (i.e. around a fitting or light). If that doesn't work, try to isolate sections of your system (suction, pressure) to see if you can narrow it down. Perhaps the Pool School - Leak Detection will offer some insight as well.

I would find that very unlikely. A coincidence perhaps. I'm assuming you had your pool winterized, so you had to reconnect everything and blow-out any line protection you had in there from winter. At this point, all you can do is try to isolate the source and go from there. Start with plugging all the returns, skimmer, drain, etc to see if it's just the liner or something that protrudes through the liner (i.e. around a fitting or light). If that doesn't work, try to isolate sections of your system (suction, pressure) to see if you can narrow it down. Perhaps the Pool School - Leak Detection will offer some insight as well.

Thanks,I look into it further.

- - - Updated - - -

What were your test results before the the addition of 18 gallons of bleach, and after? What's your CYA level in particular?

I've heard of overly high, non or under stabilized water bleaching liners but I've never heard of them causing leaks. Unless maybe if your liner was already old and damaged....? Is your liner 8 years old? It might have been on its last legs and whatever was done at opening caused a tear/leak. Did you rake out leaves or vacuum?

addendum: Why are you using CalHypo? Vinyl pools don't actually need a any/much calcium.

Since I just opened the pool, I started with getting the PH and TA to the proper levels then shocked. Didn't bother checking CYA yet. I closed the pool last year with some alge issues that I thought were taken care of. When I opened the pool last week, it was green like a swamp.

Such nuking approaches to Chlorination is just asking for problems particularly with a vinyl liner pool, this is part of the reason we teach testing and appropriate level of dosing, not just the dump and pray or nuke it approach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.