Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can over-shocking cause damage? Water level down 3 inches

1. Back To Top    #1

Can over-shocking cause damage? Water level down 3 inches

I had a really bad case of Algae when I opened up my pool last week (I am in NJ). I went a little over board and over loaded with bleach (added something like 18 gallons). I have been running my pump non stop for the past 4 days. Today I noticed the water level is 3-4 inches lower from 4 days ago. We have had cloudy weather and temps in the 50's, so I know it didn't evaporate from the hot sun. I never had this issue before and had the pool for about 9 years now. Could my over shocking it cause a leak somewhere?
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can over-shocking cause damage? Water level down 3 inches

What were your test results before the the addition of 18 gallons of bleach, and after? What's your CYA level in particular?

I've heard of overly high, non or under stabilized water bleaching liners but I've never heard of them causing leaks. Unless maybe if your liner was already old and damaged....? Is your liner 8 years old? It might have been on its last legs and whatever was done at opening caused a tear/leak. Did you rake out leaves or vacuum?

addendum: Why are you using CalHypo? Vinyl pools don't actually need a any/much calcium.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I would find that very unlikely. A coincidence perhaps. I'm assuming you had your pool winterized, so you had to reconnect everything and blow-out any line protection you had in there from winter. At this point, all you can do is try to isolate the source and go from there. Start with plugging all the returns, skimmer, drain, etc to see if it's just the liner or something that protrudes through the liner (i.e. around a fitting or light). If that doesn't work, try to isolate sections of your system (suction, pressure) to see if you can narrow it down. Perhaps the Pool School - Leak Detection will offer some insight as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I would find that very unlikely. A coincidence perhaps. I'm assuming you had your pool winterized, so you had to reconnect everything and blow-out any line protection you had in there from winter. At this point, all you can do is try to isolate the source and go from there. Start with plugging all the returns, skimmer, drain, etc to see if it's just the liner or something that protrudes through the liner (i.e. around a fitting or light). If that doesn't work, try to isolate sections of your system (suction, pressure) to see if you can narrow it down. Perhaps the Pool School - Leak Detection will offer some insight as well.
    Thanks,I look into it further.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    What were your test results before the the addition of 18 gallons of bleach, and after? What's your CYA level in particular?

I've heard of overly high, non or under stabilized water bleaching liners but I've never heard of them causing leaks. Unless maybe if your liner was already old and damaged....? Is your liner 8 years old? It might have been on its last legs and whatever was done at opening caused a tear/leak. Did you rake out leaves or vacuum?

addendum: Why are you using CalHypo? Vinyl pools don't actually need a any/much calcium.
    Since I just opened the pool, I started with getting the PH and TA to the proper levels then shocked. Didn't bother checking CYA yet. I closed the pool last year with some alge issues that I thought were taken care of. When I opened the pool last week, it was green like a swamp.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Maybe he has a heater.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Such nuking approaches to Chlorination is just asking for problems particularly with a vinyl liner pool, this is part of the reason we teach testing and appropriate level of dosing, not just the dump and pray or nuke it approach.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~