Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Post-First SLAM - First numbers posted

1. Back To Top    #1

Post-First SLAM - First numbers posted

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the info here. In addition to a bunch of pool-related 'wins', you have boosted our confidence to use common household products instead of the expensive pool items.

Will be signing up as supporters for sure!

Following draining of the pool by 2ft for lamp replacement in April, and stopping circulation for 5 days during that period (see another thread), we ended up with a murky mess. We'd already spent $200 at the pool store earlier this year.

After refilling the pool I SLAMmed by adding liquid bleach. At one point free chlorine was 28 ppm.

After lots of filtration, the pool now looks awesome and sparkly, probably its best ever in 10 years of ownership.

My numbers are

FC: 24
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 90
    CH: 250
    CYA: 75

My SWG shows 3600, but I do not have a salt test kit yet to verify.

Please can you consider my questions...

1. FC has actually increased from 20 - 24 over the last 2 days without me adding any bleach, and the water has been very clear. Should I turn off my SWG until the Cl drift down to around 3 ? Is the pool OK to swim in with the high chlorine level?

2. I think I need to increase calcium hardness. Do you agree?

3. Should I work to get the pH down or will it drift down now the SLAM is over.

Any other comments appreciated

Thanks again,

ft.
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Post-First SLAM - First numbers posted

1. For a CYA of 80 in a SWG pool, the target is 6 and the minimum is 4. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

2. Yes. I would target 350ish.

3. That's a good pH for you. With a SWG your pH will drift up, so you should add acid to lower it when it gets above 7.8 Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

We usually say, that as long as you are at or below the SLaM level of FC for you CYA, you are okay to swim. For your CYA of 80 the shock level is 31 according the chart in pool school.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

go ahead and shut your SWG off until you get down to FC of 6 and turn it back on, try to keep your FC at 6, if it drops to 5 add run time if it raises to 7 less run time...

Great job on having a sparkly pool
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't bother testing pH while your FC is that high. The test isn't accurate then.

Could you please specify the state you're in as many questions and answers require us to know your climate. THanks!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Don't bother testing pH while your FC is that high. The test isn't accurate then.

Could you please specify the state you're in as many questions and answers require us to know your climate. THanks!

I am geographically very close to your location.
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by familytr33 View Post
    I am geographically very close to your location.
    I'll try to remember that when answering, but others might not have such good memory Your state helps us tailor answers to your climate. It really helps us a lot. Thanks
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain