Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to open an inground pool in Ohio?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to open an inground pool in Ohio?

I thought there was a certain temperature that you had to reach before opening the pool??
    30,000Gal, Vinyl, IG, Pentair Superflow 1.5HP, Pentair FNS P60 DE Filter, Hayward Chlorine Feed CL200, Dolphin Supreme M5, Taylor K-2006C FAS-DPD Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to open an inground pool in Ohio?

I'm in North Canton and have started my opening. This week, I have just been letting the water circulate, brushing and adding chlorine every day. This weekend, I will start vacuuming, and slamming. Right now, I have quite a bit of dead algae on the bottom. FYI… Ollies has Liquid Shock for $2.99 a gallon and Great Escape has it for $14 a case of 4 gallons. If you received the coupon in the mail from Ohio Pools, $11.96 a case.
    20K gal; vinyl in-ground; 1.5HP Hayward pump; Hayward Sand Filter; Well water; K-2006.

3. Back To Top    #3

kspan, you are probably referring to the 60 degree mark for water. While that's a good baseline, the old TFP saying, "Close late & open early" still is your best chance to retain clear water and/or have less hassle when opening. This year's unusual temperatures are a perfect example. Some folks have jumped on the wagon and opened considerably early than in years past. Still, every pool is unique, so some are effected a bit more than someone else in the same neighborhood.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, then maybe I'll open this weekend & start the cleaning process!!!
    30,000Gal, Vinyl, IG, Pentair Superflow 1.5HP, Pentair FNS P60 DE Filter, Hayward Chlorine Feed CL200, Dolphin Supreme M5, Taylor K-2006C FAS-DPD Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in Grafton, Ohio and opened mine April 14th. Water is still 58 degrees. I bought the house last fall and this is my first year with a pool so I wanted to get a jump on things. Thanks to this site it opened in great shape and except for the temperature is now ready to go.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am in Toronto Canada and agree with the first to open almost last to close strategy

Last year I was open in mid April. This year I just finished opening yesterday evening. It may be cold water but its still much nicer to look at than a covered pool!
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by kspan View Post
    I thought there was a certain temperature that you had to reach before opening the pool??
    I would say 33 degrees is probably the lowest I opened my AG 2 weeks ago just for reference.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a buch of trees so I am keeping mine covered until the helicopter seeds are almost finished. I will probably run pump and filter some this weekend.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale