Pool taking little longer than normal.

Jun 5, 2014
Lincoln, NE
So my ph is 7.2 and my CYA is 70ish. I've tested the CYA several times because I've dealt with a green pool on here before. I tested it with half tap water mixture too. I know its a little high but I was going to drain the pool once it gets clear. That means my shock level is 28. My chlorine right now is 30. When I opened the pool my chlorine shot down very quick, but after the 2nd poor of bleach its been maintaining, less than 3 bottles in two days. I opened the pool 2 days ago on Tuesday at 10am. Its been about a little less than 2 days. When I first put the bleach in, within a few minutes the pool turned from dark green to gray/teal. Its stayed that way ever since. Usually by now the pool is cloudy white. Am I just getting impatient?

Sounds like you are on the right track. Are you brushing once or twice a day? Pump running? Backwashing the filter when the pressure rises 25% from clean pressure? Scooped all the junk out using a leaf rake?

I've scrubbed the sides, but have yet to scrub the bottom because I'm working and don't have time to backwash a lot. I'm planning on scrubbing the bottom if it doesn't change by then on the weekend. It was 35 yes, actually almost less than 35.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it dropped to about 22 now. I put 2 bottles of bleach in it to bump it up to 30 again.

You are on the right track. A SLAM is in order. Once you are done with everything, please keep a log of your pool. Amazingly, I have figured out what to add daily. Usually once a week, I will skip a day or two. Third season with pool and working with the TFP methodology for 2.5 years (learned real quick) and have not had any issues. Have you used Jesse's Graph (Excel Spreadsheet) to keep track of your weekly results, etc?

No I have not. I'll look into it. The pool looks better today. Its mostly cloudy white in the shallow end and I can see the bottom easily. I can see more of the deep end too but not the bottom. Still a hint of green to it. Hopefully tomorrow it will be all cloudy white.

So the pool actually almost looked worse and my tree keeps putting stuff in it. I scooped it out and brushed the entire pool. It looks really bad now with all the dirt that was on the bottom. But hopefully that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also another question. I backwash and rinse and turn back on the filter and for a few seconds junk starts shooting into the pool. I've put a cap to capture it and its not sand. I had a broken lateral at the end of last summer and had the pool store fix it but I wonder if they fixed it correctly. My PSI has been rising, especially when I brushed. I had to backwash 5 times in a couple hours.

Alkalinity Test couldn't get it to turn red. Is this test not good in high chlorine too?

Extended Test Kit Directions

Above are test directions for all the testing. Please give us a specific breakdown on how you are performing the test and exactly what is happening vs. what the directions state. The test should be good even with high chlorine. What does your pool look like (water quality)?

Backwashing 5 times in a few hours could be excessive. With CC of 3, you have while to go. It also would be helpful if you could post up daily TC and CC each day at around the same time before additions to bring you back up to SLAM level. Regarding "junk" in your pool, I am not sure. When posting results, please give us starting PSI and ending PSI, before backwashing. You should not have anything shooting back into your pool after the "rinse" phase and then back to "filter". You may want to call the pool store and have them back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.