Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Borates into pool is it worth it? Will it say what it does prevent algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Borates into pool is it worth it? Will it say what it does prevent algae?

I am still having a slightly greenish but turning blue SWG pool with all near to optimal now. Do I add the borates (20 Mule 4lbs Box from Walmart) or do I do this after the pool is balanced?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Borates into pool is it worth it? Will it say what it does prevent algae?

I would wait until it is all cleared up and get your TA set and your PH stable first. Then borates in. I like mine.

Please add your State to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <-----, climate is an important factor when we are helping you with your pool. And you can add your pool info your signature so that we know what we are helping you with, more here Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Adding Borates into pool is it worth it? Will it say what it does prevent algae?

Borates are completely optional and I would wait until your pool is sparkling clear and balanced before even considering them. They really are a very very minor impact on preventing algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Borates are completely optional and I would wait until your pool is sparkling clear and balanced before even considering them. They really are a very very minor impact on preventing algae.
    Thanks a lot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Does adding borates really help to prevent algae seriously.. What other advantages is there?

16 x 32 (3, 5, 11)
    23-24,000 volume
    Liner Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by phillipjko View Post
    Does adding borates really help to prevent algae seriously.. What other advantages is there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Borates - Why and How
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!