Need Slamming Guidance Please

Jun 10, 2012
TAMPA, FLORIDA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi Everyone - My T 15 cell went bad 2 weeks ago , so when I confirmed the cell was bad from Pinch a Penny testing it, they mentioned I could use a floater with pucks as a substitute until I pick up a cell. This was only going to be temporary for a month or so. I have been checking it for the 2 weeks and my readings are good :p. But I am noticing the sides of the pool and floor have a bunch of mustard algea and some doesn't move with the cleaner or brush. The water color is blueish, yellow and green, but not even close to a swamp yet. Think I need to slam it.
I have read the slamming process and want to get going on it. How do you start and how many jugs of bleach are needed? I read the process in pool school , but still confused
My current readings, they look good right? What do I do?

TC 4 PPM
FC 4 PPM
CC 0 PPM
PH 7.6 PPM
CALCIUM 300 PPM
STABILIZER 80PPM
TOTAL SOLIDS DISOLVED 5000 PPM
SALT 3600 PPM

Pinch a Penny readings. Going to go to leslies pool and pick up the FAS DPD service test kit tomorrow.
It will be really rare to find the FAS-DPD test kit in stock. They'll try to sell you a DPD test kit and tell you it's the same. It's not. If Leslies does have it, it'll be Leslie's 81329. Website shows it at over 90 bucks!

Either get online and hunt for a Taylor K-2006 cheaper or get a TF100. Depending on where you live, either from California or North Carolina.

Sorry thought i filled it out. Tampa, Fl , Auqarite SWG T15, Marcite , Pool size is 23k
I will add to signature when i get home. For some reason, i do not see a ootion on my mobile to upate.

Yes, a jug of 8.25% bleach per day, or half am and half pm will be good. Maybe the Show Sig box lower left of post text box needs to be checked. Sometimes it gets unchecked for some reason. Once it is checked it usually stays checked.

Well my pool was a lil greener a couple days ago. For the last 3 days added a gallon of walmart bleach per day and its gettin clearer. I am still planning on slamming it, but should i lay off on the bleach for a bit til my test kit comes in?
33eb8ec3f72137437eaaa8a5daa4a99d.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so my test kit shouod be at home when i get there tonite. I want to do the test later. Are the instructions pretty simple for the TF 100 or is there a guided here? How many gallons of bleach should i pick up. I did try to read up to be prepared, but got lost in the links. Thanks

Ok so my test kit shouod be at home when i get there tonite. I want to do the test later. Are the instructions pretty simple for the TF 100 or is there a guided here? How many gallons of bleach should i pick up. I did try to read up to be prepared, but got lost in the links. Thanks
The instructions are pretty easy. I think a bright ten year old could follow them. But you can always watch the videos

If you run across a good deal on bleach, buy as much as you can fit in your car. That looks like a pretty big pool, so10-15 gallons. If you don't use it all on the SLAM, you'll just have a week or two supply standing by. Now would also be a good time to fill out your signature so we don't start telling you to check things your pool doesn't have.

My TF 100 is in :D I did pick up 12 gallons on 8.25 bleach too. I followed the youtube videos Richard320 "Thank you". Here are my carefully done numbers...lol
What should I do now?

PH 7.7
CH 310
FAS DPD CHLORINE TEST 30 DROPS X .5 = 15
CC 0
TA 150
CYA 70
Temp 80

My TF 100 is in :D I did pick up 12 gallons on 8.25 bleach too. I followed the youtube videos Richard320 "Thank you". Here are my carefully done numbers...lol
What should I do now?

PH 7.7
CH 310FAS DPD CHLORINE TEST 30 DROPS X .5 = 15
CC 0
TA 150
CYA 70
Temp 80
Follow the SLAM instructions. In brief: you change into clothes you can sacrifice. Then you plug your numbers into poolmath and target 7.2 pH. It will tell you how much acid it will take. Hint: a little over half a gallon. You can eyeball that one, no need to measure precisely. Then you dribble the acid into the return stream with the pump running and then give a few swipes with the brush to get some cross currents going and go have a beer. Chug that and then add enough bleach to get to 28. That's shock level for 70 CYA. Hint: 3.75 jugs. Add it the same way as the acid and then go find something else to do for an hour. Then recheck FC and plug the new Now number into poolmath and see what you need to add to get back to 28.

I did some extra reading and understand now how to use the Pool Math calculator ( have to hover over the area for the results, DUH), so I will get some new readings and start the SLAM! A quick question or 3. This whole time the floater with chlorine pucks has been in the pool. Through this process is this to be completely removed? Does the pump run from the beginning of the slam to the end? Lastly, on a different note, I did order a new cell from poolsupplyworld.com last note too PoolSupplyWorld Generic T-Cell 15 Replacement Salt Cell with 15 Foot Cable and it says requires firmware of 1.5 of higher (??). How do you know if yours is firmware 1.5 or higher?? The last cell was a Hayward GLX T15. The system (Swim Pure) is about 9 years old, with the board and cell replaced about 5 years ago.Thoughts/advice

Yep, take that floater out, it is adding cya.

Run your pump 24/7 until your slam is finished

In your panel on the swg there should be an info button that will show your firmware version.

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.