Need Slamming Guidance Please

Thanks CC! Started slamming tonite and when I did my initial FC check I was at 34. So maybe the gallon of bleach from last nite threw it up, but the pool is already getting clearer. I'll check the FC in the morning and when i get home again and post the results.

Tested twice when i got home from work and I am at FC / FAS DPD 30 and the CC was 0. Cleaned the cartridge filter and running the creepie now. We will retest in the morning
These pics are before brushing and the creepie

1594afd083ef5efe857230b0d328eb9e.jpg
33c5551c44296aa43cab614ec139be3f.jpg

Just did my FC reading and cleaned the filter. So, my FC reading is still the same at 30 from last nights check, so no bleach added for chlorine loss. Maybe that will change when I get home later today. The only reading I need to be concerned with at this point is FC, right? Or should I be adding to my updates PH , CYA , CC etc ? Thanks :cool:

Ok, so I've been cleaning the filter, running the creepie crawler and maintaining 28-29 FC for a couple days now. There was always about 50-60 small black algea dots and now they are very small maybe1/4 of a penny in size. Should the slam process take care of them or do they go away with time and scrubbing?
Btw, i am not getting really any FC loss overnite, just during day time and my cc is zero. Whatcha think guys and ladies?

Ok, so I've been cleaning the filter, running the creepie crawler and maintaining 28-29 FC for a couple days now. There was always about 50-60 small black algea dots and now they are very small maybe1/4 of a penny in size. Should the slam process take care of them or do they go away with time and scrubbing?
Btw, i am not getting really any FC loss overnite, just during day time and my cc is zero. Whatcha think guys and ladies?
Can you throw a quarter into the deep end and call heads or tails? If so, that's clear. That's part one. Part two is OCLT. You passed. Part three is CC. You passed.

What you have now is black algae and it might take a couple more weeks to get rid of that. There's a how-to in pool school, and this recent thread has some nice pictures that show the smear test and so on. I've Failed - Black Algae - Clear Water

My T15 cell from http://www.poolsupplyworld .com was just dropped off :) . I am going to do a final overnight FC drop test and then let the FC level drift down. I have a couple questions to make sure I get up and running properly. What should I let the FC drift down to before turning the new cell on?
My old T15 cell was running at 85-90% on the Swim Pure panels thumb dial. The pool math chart shows 5-10 is the "normal" FC level for my pool. When I would go to Pinch a Penny they would always say, the Fc was at 4 and I would slowly start to see signs of mustard algea and black algea spots.
What should I initially have the panel dial set at to maintain a good chlorine level from the cell? What FC level should I maintain to stop any mustard algea and help eliminate the remaining black spots that are still there? Should I use a floater with a puck or 2 to keep the new target chlorine high enough? Lastly, all the testing I've been doing is burning through the bottle of R8071 drops, can I get those locally? Thanks everyone

My T15 cell from http://www.poolsupplyworld .com was just dropped off :) . I am going to do a final overnight FC drop test and then let the FC level drift down. I have a couple questions to make sure I get up and running properly. What should I let the FC drift down to before turning the new cell on?
Let it get down to 10 or less so you can accurately test everything again and rebalance as needed.
My old T15 cell was running at 85-90% on the Swim Pure panels thumb dial. The pool math chart shows 5-10 is the "normal" FC level for my pool. When I would go to Pinch a Penny they would always say, the Fc was at 4 and I would slowly start to see signs of mustard algea and black algea spots.
What should I initially have the panel dial set at to maintain a good chlorine level from the cell?
Start at 50% and test daily. Go up or down as needed.
What FC level should I maintain to stop any mustard algea and help eliminate the remaining black spots that are still there?
Between normal and shock level according to the black algae article in pool school. I'd try to hold it between 9 & 10 so you get no interference with the pH testing. You can go much higher with 70 CYA and still swim, but the pH test will be suspect.
Should I use a floater with a puck or 2 to keep the new target chlorine high enough?
NO. You will raise CYA with pucks, which then means a higher FC level is needed to stay ahead of the algae which will make you want to add more pucks, which then means a higher FC level is needed to stay ahead of the algae which will make you want to add more pucks.... and so on and so on.
Lastly, all the testing I've been doing is burning through the bottle of R8071 drops, can I get those locally? Thanks everyone
In theory, yes. In reality, very unlikely except at a store that services a lot of commercial accounts. Leslies can order it, but you'd probably get refills from TFTestkits.net just as fast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, just passed the 3 step test :cool: No overnight FC loss, CC is at zero and pool is very clear! Couple questions for the pro's. Roughly how long does it take the FC to drift down to 10 from a level of 28 ? I am waiting for my other bottle of R0871 and I only have maybe a test or 2 left of my supply.
Lastly, where should the test reading be for FC to be able to go in safely? Family is going stir crazy....LMAO

Update: Checked the FC drift down yesterday when I got home from work for the first time and it went from 28 to 22. So, I should only really be doing the FC test until I reach my target of 9-10 ( trying to knock out some small black algea spots). Then turn on the SWG to maybe 50-60% and test daily for all levels.I'll do a complete set of numbers later the afternoon. I might have 2-3 tests with my R0871 FC reagent left, I hope that bottle gets here soon. Family is doing the "Happy Feet " dance maybe for a swim this weekend.

Did a test cannon ball today in honor of the re-opening ! Got a lil work to perfect it though...lol
Todays reading:
FC 16 PPM
CC 0 PPM
PH 7.5 PPM
CALCIUM 330 PPM
CYA 58 PPM
TA 130
SALT 2900 PPM
1d5baa146e762eec883248a92bf531ce.jpg
58bd07561fa1e84ebd30a80dda5a5556.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.