Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I doing this right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I doing this right?

New pool and was just using the cheap test kit adding acid and using the inline chlorinator. Just got the Taylor k-2006 test kit and came up with these results
    Cya-47
    Ch-500
    Ta-50
    Ph-7.1
    Fc-144
    Cc-1
    Saturation index shows -.6
    Water temp is about 70
    Just put a little acid yesterday morning

According to the calculator here I need to drain some water
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I doing this right?

Well, some of those numbers are a little odd coming from the K-2006.

The CYA would normally be a multiple of 10
    That is kind of a weird pH number
    That FC is crazy ... please describe how you did the test. How much water did you use and how many drops did you count?

Why do you think it suggests draining water? Probably because you have a low CH number set for the target. You should test your tap water for CH and see how hard your water is. Often we just have to deal with higher CH numbers than ideal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA was between the 40 and 50 closer to 50 so I just assume 47. It said until the black dot disappeared but I may have seen it very faintly, my eyes were getting crazy staring down the tube for a while.
    Same for the PH. It was kind of between the 7.0 and 7.2
    The FC said multiply the drops by itself. Took 12 drops to turn clear with 25ml of water unless I missed a step
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

You're FC is 2.4 PPM you multiply the number of drops by 0.2 parts per million when you use 25 milliliters. From now on though use 10 milliliters of water and multiply each dropped by .5
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You're FC is 2.4 PPM you multiply the number of drops by 0.2 parts per million when you use 25 milliliters. From now on though use 10 milliliters of water and multiply each dropped by .5
    Ah got it. I misread. I'll test my tap water but I know our water here is pretty hard.

The cya being around 40-50 I should probably switch to bleach now?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcarbs View Post
    Ah got it. I misread. I'll test my tap water but I know our water here is pretty hard.

The cya being around 40-50 I should probably switch to bleach now?
    Yep. 50 CYA is a good number, and in Las Vegas, you might be okay up around 60... which leaves you some room to use pucks if you want to leave town for a few days.

The 1 CC is worrisome. Repeat the FC & CC test tomorrow and be careful and mix it thoroughly between drops.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes you would not want the cya to climb much more if you've been using tablets.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yep. 50 CYA is a good number, and in Las Vegas, you might be okay up around 60... which leaves you some room to use pucks if you want to leave town for a few days.

The 1 CC is worrisome. Repeat the FC & CC test tomorrow and be careful and mix it thoroughly between drops.
    Actually since I screwed up the FC then my cc is screwed up as well. It took 1 drop at 25ml level to turn clear

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcarbs View Post
    Actually since I screwed up the FC then my cc is screwed up as well. It took 1 drop at 25ml level to turn clear
    Then you're golden!

How does the water look? Has it developed that TFP sparkle yet?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

It's nice a Ned clear except for some leftover crud from recent rain and heavy winds. I was freaking out last week because there were a few brown looking stains that I couldn't brush off. The chlorine was low and once I turned it up the stains were gone