Pool slowing draining via filter during normal use.

Hello, I have an in ground pool that is about 18,000 gallons and that I've been able to care for myself without professional assistance thanks to this forum. I opened my pool about 2 weeks ago, and everything was working fine as far as I could tell.

I leave my pump off overnight, and this morning I went out and moved my sand filter to backwash, and ran the pump for about a minute, then turned off the pump, switched the filter from backwash to "filter", turned in the pump and walked away like I've done a thousand times.

3 hours later I noticed my water level had dropped about 2 inches. I noticed that the drain hose attached to the sand filter was slowly but steadily trickling out water. Not at same pace of if I had it set to 'drain' or 'backwash' but more like a kitchen sick that was left on.

Anyways I turned off the pump, moved the settings around to "drain" " backwash" etc to test it, and they seem to work fine. But for some reason the problem continues when I switch the filter back to normal. Just a slow but steady drain out the hose. I guess something in the pump might have broke and water is going out in addition to filtering back into the pool

Any ideas? I think this one may call for a professional repairman but if it's something I can try to fix myself I'm all ears. Thanks for your time

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What kind of backwash valve do you have?

I have done this and recharged my DE filter and had most of the DE head right out the waste line. On mine, I just have to make sure the multi-port valve is seated to make a good seal. I also now always double check no water is coming out where it shouldn't.

If you have tried reseating it a few times with no luck, sounds like it is time to open it up and see if the spider gasket is damaged or maybe a piece of debris is not letting it seal.

Thanks for the reply. I have a jacuzzi laser sand filter that is at least 6 years old. I've never had to do any serioius maintence on the equipment before so I'm pretty nervous about breaking something. I've never opened it up to change the sand or anything but since I've never lost sand or had a problem keeping the pool clean/clear I haven't seen the need to.

Do I have to depressurize the filter before taking the bolts off the multi port thing? I've been googling the problem all day and the most common answer is the spider gasket you mentioned. I might have to call a professional unfortunately.

I read that i might have to buy a new multi-port instead just the gasket. Even if I opened it up I'm not sure what I'd be looking for, but there seem to be some YouTube videos that could walk me through it.

Do you know the lifespan of a Sand filter? Should I just consider replacing the whole thing? I'd hate for me to do the fix now and have another issue next season. I appreciate the advice very much.

Is sand filter should last for a very very very long time. And while the sand I'm sure is good we usually recommend a deep cleaning every year or so to get the crud out.

As soon as you turn off the pump there is no more pressure in the filter.
It should just be a few screws that you have to take out and the multi-port will open up and you can look at the rubber gasket. Just make a note that there is a specific orientation that it needs to be reinstalled in there should be some notches to align.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.