Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool went green...again

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool went green...again

My pool went green again. It's my fault. I wasn't testing appropriately and then there was a bad storm and it got tons of debris and I woke up to green. I'm mid slam right now(hahaha), but I'm pretty confident my filter media has about had it. I know I can add DE to help it out, but idk when this sand was replaced and id like to do it and know it's working. My question is this : is there anything wrong with the quickrete sand filter materiel from Home Depot at 5 and a half bucks for 50 pounds? Quikrete 50 lb. Pool Filter Sand 115350 at The Home Depot - Mobile
    My pool: ~22.6K gallon. 16'x32' with 8 foot deep. 10 year old vinyl liner (prayers)
    Century A.O. Smith UST1202 56J C-Face 2 HP Single Speed Up Rated Pool Filter Motor, 19.6/10.4-9.8A 115/208-230V
    Hayward S244T ProSeries 24" In- Ground Sand Pool Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool went green...again

There have been some bad reviews related to using that product for pools. Stick with pool sand designed for pools - #20 silica sand. But hey, what makes you think you current sand is bad? Sand usually doesn't just go back unless something was added to it previously. Maybe it just needs a deep cleaning as noted here: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would definitely do the deep clean first. As long as the sand isn't glued together with some pool store potion it is fine. Sand is millions of years old you aren't going to wear it out.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, I'll try the deep clean. I was just worried because as of late it has been spitting sand out into the pool through the returns even after running the rinse for at least 2 minutes. I didn't know if perhaps the sand had broken down to the point that it was slipping through the filter or something. (I'm no scientist :P) Anyway, I'll give her a good deep clean this weekend and see if I can get her cleared up. Thanks a lot!
    My pool: ~22.6K gallon. 16'x32' with 8 foot deep. 10 year old vinyl liner (prayers)
    Century A.O. Smith UST1202 56J C-Face 2 HP Single Speed Up Rated Pool Filter Motor, 19.6/10.4-9.8A 115/208-230V

5. Back To Top    #5

Perhaps your laterals are out of whack or broken and that is allowing sand to return to the pool? Or are you possibly seeing algae and assumed it was sand? Check the feel of it.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not a master plumber (or an amateur one). Where does one start with this process?

7. Back To Top    #7

For deep cleaning you need to remove the top valve assembly (attached by the collar ring). Your manual should have more instructions. Before you can "lift" the valve assembly out of the way to actually get your hands down into the filter, you have to figure-out if the plumbing can be loosened by a fitting, or if some/all of the pipes will have to be "gently" lifted up just enough to get out of the way. I don't see unions, only the threaded male fittings that were originally screwed into the filter then glued to PVC on the other end. You "may" have enough slack in the plumbing to just lift it up out of the way just enough to get your hands into the filter, but it will be close. If you can't do it, then you'd eventually have to cut the plumbing and install unions which would give easy access later. Something not thought of until after the installation.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

8. Back To Top    #8

I did have enough slack, but when I pulled up my stand pipe and laterals came up with it. I've tried to separate the drain pop from the multi port but I can't. Now my multi port and stand pipe are resting on my laterals on top of the sand. I'm sure I damaged one. They seem fragile. Also my filter is below half way full of sand. Like well below. How much sand should it have? Also, does anyone have advice on separating my multiport from my stand pipe? If I can't get them separated I'll never get the laterals out to inspect.

9. Back To Top    #9

GENTLY have someone else hold one end while you hold the other. Both of you pull and ONE of you do a slight turn as you pull. Be gentle but firm in your pulling and turning.

Oh your laterals should either twist off or fold up to get them out of the filter body. Do a search for your filter using the model number and such.

Look at your manual to see how much sand you should have and go from there.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

11. Back To Top    #11

So since my stand pipe and laterals came up out of the sand .... I might as well replace it right? Because I'm gonna have to take it all out to get them back in

12. Back To Top    #12

Not necessarily. Sand doesn't go bad unless something was added to it to make it go bad. You can scoop and/or Shop-Vac it out, set it to the side, and reuse it if you like.

13. Back To Top    #13

if it were me I would just do the deep cleaning of the sand and check the laterals for cracks.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

14. Back To Top    #14

Well I'm glad those laterals came out and I looked at them a little closer just now. At first I thought they were fine. I had someone at the local pool supply place look at them and say they were fine...then I happened to give them a final once over as I was placing them back into the filter... Here's what I saw.
    So... I don't know what step is next. I guess I replace the whole stand pipe and laterals?

15. Back To Top    #15

Some Googling and I'm sure you can find replacements for those. I'm not surprised. It's what we say here all the time ... No one will take as good of care of your pool as you. That's a big reason we push self-testing. In your case - self inspection and validation of the laterals. Well, at least you know. Between the many on-line pool resources out there, I suspect you can replace those Hayward laterals with no problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a couple examples:
    Parts for the Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Discount Hayward sand filter parts
    Hayward Pro Series S180T, 210T, 220T, 244T Filter Parts

16. Back To Top    #16

You're right. Nothing better than doing it myself. I plumbed myself some unions Monday, and wired myself a pump timer and some electrical outlets. Today was fix the filter day, but I will be stalled by this. I guess I'll cruise around with 300 lbs of sand in the car while I wait for this part to come in. I assume this is the best route?
    Amazon.com: Hayward SX244DA Lateral Assembly with Center Pipe Replacement for Select Hayward Automatic Skimmers and Sand Filter: Patio, Lawn Garden

I know sometimes I ask a lot of questions and may not take the cheapest route, but it's because I don't know that I trust the previous owners of this house to have done it right, so I like to do it myself so I know for sure.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the meantime, I think you should be able to keep the water moving on recirculate right?

18. Back To Top    #18

Oh that doesn't really matter at the moment. It's still green. I was trying to figure out why it didn't seem to be filtering and staying clean and clear. So I'll be doing a SLAM after the repairs are done. I 'm hoping now that the filter will be running at 100% it will clear up for the first time ever with a SLAM. I had to shock, floc, and vacuum to waste to get clear last time.