Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More FC = More UV Chlorine Loss?

1. Back To Top    #1

More FC = More UV Chlorine Loss?

Hello,

I have a simple question that I have been struggling with. Lets say my target FC is 6. If I put in enough bleach to get to 10, will I lose (or waste) more bleach to UV during the next 24 hours, than if I had put in enough to get only to 7? (assuming pool is clean, clear, and CYA = 40)

Put another way, can a fixed amount of UV break down a fixed amount of chlorine, regardless of chlorine ppm? Or does the break down increase with higher chlorine concentrations?

I hope my question makes sense. I know I could experiment and come up with an "answer," but I would still not be sure. Too many variables involved. This is a real brain teaser to me.
    Last edited by MarkTX; 05-04-2016 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added CYA
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More FC = More UV Chlorine Loss?

You do lose more faster at higher FC levels. But CYA helps buffer that.

Wrap your head around this thread, especially the third graph.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The way I like to state it (while maybe slightly over-simplified) ... the CYA will protect a % of the FC in the pool. Assume that 50% is protected and 50% is lost (for some CYA level). Starting at 7ppm, you will lose 3.5ppm. Starting at 10ppm, you will lose 5ppm. So the higher you raise the FC above the recommended levels, the more ppm of FC will be lost to the sun.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

Wrap your head around this thread, especially the third graph.
    That is a great thread!

This part I understand:

The other part:
    Trying to understand. But there is no "mind blown" emoji

Thanks, you answered the question

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The way I like to state it (while maybe slightly over-simplified) ... the CYA will protect a % of the FC in the pool. Assume that 50% is protected and 50% is lost (for some CYA level). Starting at 7ppm, you will lose 3.5ppm. Starting at 10ppm, you will lose 5ppm. So the higher you raise the FC above the recommended levels, the more ppm of FC will be lost to the sun.
    I can understand that, too. Thank you!
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

5. Back To Top    #5

FC loss to UV light is a function of the active chlorine concentration (HOCl/OCl-). The hypochlorite ion (OCl-) is most susceptible to UV photolysis and, as UV uses it up, the HOCl/OCl- equilibrium shifts to create more OCl- since the ratio of HOCl to OCl- is fixed at a given pH (at pH 7.5 the ratio is roughly 1:1).

CYA binds up most of the chlorine and lowers the overall active chlorine level. As you increase the FC/CYA ratio by adding more FC to a fixed CYA level, you are creating more OCl-. So the FC loss rate goes up since photolysis is a 1st order reaction rate, the rate of photolysis is proportional to the concentration of the species reacting to the UV light.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    FC loss to UV light is a function of the active chlorine concentration (HOCl/OCl-). The hypochlorite ion (OCl-) is most susceptible to UV photolysis and, as UV uses it up, the HOCl/OCl- equilibrium shifts to create more OCl- since the ratio of HOCl to OCl- is fixed at a given pH (at pH 7.5 the ratio is roughly 1:1).

CYA binds up most of the chlorine and lowers the overall active chlorine level. As you increase the FC/CYA ratio by adding more FC to a fixed CYA level, you are creating more OCl-. So the FC loss rate goes up since photolysis is a 1st order reaction rate, the rate of photolysis is proportional to the concentration of the species reacting to the UV light.
    Oh my, I have much book-learnin to do. Thank you JN! It seems unanimous.