SLAMming blind? No test kit until next week

Hey everyone, great forum. I've been digging through it for weeks, but this is my first post. <br><br>Being Canadian, I can't get the TF100 test kit here, so I'm having my brother send it to me from Michigan.It won't arrive for at least another 5 days, but I just couldn't look at the green slime pit of shame in my backyard anymore, so here's what I've done. (Oh, bought the house in the fall, this is my first year starting a pool):<br><br>Scooped out all the muck as best I could. Topped up the water, hooked up the pump / SWG etc. Added the only bag of salt I had handy to bring it to 2500 (I'll get more tomorrow) and started scrubbing the bottom to loosen the dead algae. I also added one gallon of concentrated bleach. Running the pump 24/7 backwashing as needed. <br><br>Now, I know I need to be testing the CC as the SLAM goes along, but since I can't do that for a few days, what would you recommend for someone flying blind like me, to either help clear it slowly,  until the test kit gets here, or at least not make it any worse than it is. I'm not quite sure what the minimum amount of bleach I should use to limp it along until I can do some testing. PH and ALk tested ok with the strips I have, if that helps. <br><br>Thanks again, great place!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Forget the salt as you will be backwashing often to clean up the pool. Do so when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

I would suggest just adding 1 bottle of bleach daily until you test kit arrives.

How did you create the post? On a computer on the forum? From a tablet or phone? Using an App?

I have no idea what the HTML coding is showing either.

Regular laptop. However when I submitted it, it bounced because I used a "swear word" (an anagram of Carp), so I just edited it. Anyhow, things seem to be working now.

One more question while I have you: My pressure gauge is broken, I'll have to get one tomorrow as well. I was just going to backwash before bed, and in the morning unless I notice a significant change in flow in either the skimmer or outflow. Do you think this would be adequate?

Thanks again

Love the username!! "So long and thanks for all the fish!!"
As you can imagine, I do too. Big fan of the fjords.

I will just say that blindly trying to SLAM with no way to read high FC levels and without a reliable CYA number is just going to lead to problems. Best case is that you add too little and don't really hurt anything, but if your CYA level is too low then you could end up doing some damage. Best to do the 1-jug-a-day holding pattern and let your kit get there. I hate waiting as much as anyone else, but it could prevent more problems later in this case.

If not too late, have your brother add one of the pressure gauges that tftestkit.net sells. They are glycerin filled and way better than the *carp* that are usually sold locally. ;)

You plan is fine for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.