Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAMming blind? No test kit until next week

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAMming blind? No test kit until next week

Hey everyone, great forum. I've been digging through it for weeks, but this is my first post.&nbsp;<br><br>Being Canadian, I can't get the TF100 test kit here, so I'm having my brother send it to me from Michigan.It won't arrive for at least another 5 days, but I just couldn't look at the green slime pit of shame in my backyard anymore, so here's what I've done. (Oh, bought the house in the fall, this is my first year starting a pool):<br><br>Scooped out all the muck as best I could. Topped up the water, hooked up the pump / SWG etc. Added the only bag of salt I had handy to bring it to 2500 (I'll get more tomorrow) and started scrubbing the bottom to loosen the dead algae. I also added one gallon of concentrated bleach. Running the pump 24/7 backwashing as needed.&nbsp;<br><br>Now, I know I need to be testing the CC as the SLAM goes along, but since I can't do that for a few days, what would you recommend for someone flying blind like me, to either help clear it slowly, &nbsp;until the test kit gets here, or at least not make it any worse than it is. I'm not quite sure what the minimum amount of bleach I should use to limp it along until I can do some testing. PH and ALk tested ok with the strips I have, if that helps.&nbsp;<br><br>Thanks again, great place!
    20k Gallon Above ground, SWG - Hayward sand filter and pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAMming blind? No test kit until next week

Welcome to TFP!!!

Forget the salt as you will be backwashing often to clean up the pool. Do so when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

I would suggest just adding 1 bottle of bleach daily until you test kit arrives.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Love the username!! "So long and thanks for all the fish!!"
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey thanks. I figured as much. Can you tell my why my post is all messed up with <br><br> etc appearing in the text or is it just my computer seeing that?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    Hey thanks. I figured as much. Can you tell my why my post is all messed up with <br><br> etc appearing in the text or is it just my computer seeing that?
    I see the html coding, too. It's not inserting the paragraph breaks.

Don't ask me why not.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

How did you create the post? On a computer on the forum? From a tablet or phone? Using an App?

I have no idea what the HTML coding is showing either.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    How did you create the post? On a computer on the forum? From a tablet or phone? Using an App?

I have no idea what the HTML coding is showing either.
    Regular laptop. However when I submitted it, it bounced because I used a "swear word" (an anagram of Carp), so I just edited it. Anyhow, things seem to be working now.

One more question while I have you: My pressure gauge is broken, I'll have to get one tomorrow as well. I was just going to backwash before bed, and in the morning unless I notice a significant change in flow in either the skimmer or outflow. Do you think this would be adequate?

Thanks again

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Love the username!! "So long and thanks for all the fish!!"
    As you can imagine, I do too. Big fan of the fjords.

I will just say that blindly trying to SLAM with no way to read high FC levels and without a reliable CYA number is just going to lead to problems. Best case is that you add too little and don't really hurt anything, but if your CYA level is too low then you could end up doing some damage. Best to do the 1-jug-a-day holding pattern and let your kit get there. I hate waiting as much as anyone else, but it could prevent more problems later in this case.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

If not too late, have your brother add one of the pressure gauges that tftestkit.net sells. They are glycerin filled and way better than the *carp* that are usually sold locally.

You plan is fine for now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator