Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swamp thang, you've made my wife...ANGRY

1. Back To Top    #1

Swamp thang, you've made my wife...ANGRY

Hello, First time poster and I just started my first opening today. I've added some eye candy. The pool is 14x28 around 12,000 gal, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, and swg.
    I am now slamming the pool, poured my first two jugs of 8% bleach in and scrubbed down the walls and bottom to circulate things. My PH 7.2/TA 20/CYA 0. I have read my pool school and slamming method. The calculator said to bring FC up to 12 add 1.8 jugs. I have also added my cyanuric acid to a sock and laid it in the skimmer basket to circulate. Hopefully that brings the cya up to 30. My question is, do I test my FC once an hour or wait longer and maintain at 12? I bought 16 jugs to start. I know I have a long two weeks ahead of me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swamp thang, you've made my wife...ANGRY

Welcome to TFP!!!

How long you can wait between tests depends on how fast the FC is being consumed. I would suggest hourly at the start and gradually you should be able to wait longer.

If you stay on top of it, the whole process should not take 2 weeks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

With some perseverance, it won't take you nearly two weeks. By Sunday you should see a significant difference.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

What a pretty green tint!

With that much green and slowly rising CYA levels, I'd think an hour is plenty of time to deplete the FC. You'll have a better idea when you do test it. If you only lost 1 or 2, then you can probably stretch the interval to two hours. As things progress, the intervals should get longer and the amount needed to bring things back up to shock level will decrease. I'd say you're doing extremely well. You've got the kit and you're following directions and most important, you posted a picture!

Depending on your work schedule and how diligent you are able to be about dosing, you could be done by the end of the weekend. I believe the record is three days, but that guy set his alarm clock and got up every two hours through the night.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Take THIS swamp thang! He has your number and you are going DOWN!

Love the picture to "feed" us! Now keep taking pics each day looking down on your steps. THAT will show all of us the progress you are making!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Day two and I have some progress. My FC was as high as 17 around 6pm. I checked again at midnight and FC had dropped to 5.5. After adding 1.5 jugs of bleach I called it a night. At this mornings check, I have emerald patches and a visible third step. My FC is overshot again at 17, so I am holding off on adding additional bleach at this time. My target FC has been 12. The pressure on my filter started at 10, and is now at 13. When should I clean the filter? I was going to wait until it hit 18. Is that too long? It is a cartridge filter.
    I forgot to mention, my sock filled with about 4.25 cups of cyanuric acid has all but totally dissolved this morning. I cannot check my CYA again until my new bottle arrives in the mail. So I am assuming what I've added brought it up to 30 or so.

7. Back To Top    #7

Looking better. Good time to brush when you have a chance. It will make it look worse, but will help the process along.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

You should clean your filter when the pressure has increased by about 25% from its original baseline (clean) starting pressure. Emerald green huh? It will be interesting to see how this one develops. Try to stay on-top of that FC and maintain it. The SLAM works best that way. Happy SLAMming, and have a good day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

From the picture, I'd say a vacuuming is due. That ought to finish the cartridge off, and then you can clean it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

FC finally dropped but only to 11, I added a few splashes it's getting there.IMG_20160505_180258558.jpg
    12K, 14x28 rectangle vinyl in gound, Pentair superflo pump, Pentair C&C RP cart filter, Aquarite SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

Progress is good!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

12. Back To Top    #12

I will be flying blind the next several days, I ran out of R-0871 reagent. I ordered some from TFTestkits, guess I can just trickle bleach in until then.
    12K, 14x28 rectangle vinyl in gound, Pentair superflo pump, Pentair C&C RP cart filter, Aquarite SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

Absolutely. Pretty-much stick with the same dispensing routine you had before you ran out.

14. Back To Top    #14

IMG_20160508_095856923.jpgUpdate day 5 ish,still cloudy but we now have visibility to the bottom. I've been cleaning the cartridge filter with a power washer over using a garden hose, but the pressure rises from 10 (original starting pressure) to around 15 in just a few hours. Vacuumed 3 times this week. I haven't been able to check my FC because I am still waiting on my reagent to arrive. Adding about half a gallon of bleach a day until then.

15. Back To Top    #15

I like where this is heading!!!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

your getting there
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

17. Back To Top    #17

Should I clean this filter in half strength muriatic acid after all this algae? And should I buy a second? Not sure what brand to buy either.

18. Back To Top    #18

Update, The pool is clear but I am still waiting on my reagent to test FC levels and have not yet performed the OFCLT.

19. Back To Top    #19

Sweet!! Looking good. See, nowhere near two weeks!
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

You are so close that is looking great...

you should not need to clean your filters in an acid bath unless you have scaling going on..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast