Resurfacing Options - Marcite lower cost, or Diamond Brite and break the bank

Apr 27, 2014
Central FL
I have not been a pool owner long, therefore I am not familiar with the differences or some terminology. Marcite resurfacing is regular plain old plaster resurfacing right?

Is it true that "nowadays" marcite/plaster does not last as long, as the materials are different? How long does it last vs. Diamond Brite?

Marcite is just the plain white finish? Or are there other options that might improve the texture/appearance?

I have been offered an estimate for marcite refsurfacing for approximately $3,000. I happen to know the owner of the company and I think that helped with the price, but it seems they do not offer Diamond Brite. I received another quote for Diamond Brite for $6,000. Is it worth the difference?

Marcite is the traditional plaster finish. It is tried-and-true and can last a long time. We replastered our pool a year ago and it was previously refinished in 1998, so 17 years is a viable lifespan. The quartz finishes can last even longer but it's not as simplistic as paying more=longer life. All surfaces require care and a properly balanced pool water environment as well as proper care for-off-season. So given the same attention and care, you can get another 5 or so years out of some of the quartz finishes. If you're not properly maintaining then neither will last as long as advertised. After considering the options and talking to others who resurfaced recently we went with Marcite.

Marcite can be tinted with Diamond Brite. The result will have a mottled appearance but is practically a no cost add. We did this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.