My Results vs. Pool Stpre

Chappie

Apr 25, 2016
Lafayette, LA
I've been doing the TFP method for about 2 months now, and as a result, have largely stopped going to my pool supply store. Recently they sent a bunch of coupons for free stuff and I needed a new sight window for my filter, so I figured I'd see how their numbers compared with mine. I was just curious if anyone had comments about the differences. The measurements were done 3 days apart, but I feel like that should be close enough.

TC/FC

- My FC number is 2.0, and I have yet to ever show a result for CC, so TC was 2.0. Is it weird to never show CC? I wonder if I'm doing the test wrong somehow.
- The pool store showed 1.8 FC and 0.5 CC for a 2.3 TC

pH

- lately my color doesn't seem to match any of the colors in the vial, but previous to that it seemed steady at 7.5. My best guess was it had increased to 7.8 or maybe more.
- They showed 7.7 in the computer, but the red dye test led the girl to think it was closer to 8.0 and so I just added a pint of acid. We'll see what happens, I guess.

CYA

- My very first reading was 65, but in the 2 or so months it has since come down to 45. I know there's a lot of ballparking in this one.
- They showed 57

TA

- My test says 90, down from 100 originally, which is just on the high end of acceptable according to the recommended levels page.
- Theirs has 2 numbers, TA of 99, and Adjusted TA of 82. They say this adjusted TA number should be 125-150, and wanted me to buy 16 pounds of Balance Pak 100 to raise it up. I didn't.

CH

- I show 225, which is on the low side, but it fluctuates a little above that sometimes, so my plan was to leave it alone for now.
- Their machine said 201, which makes me think I ought to rethink that plan a little.

Thanks for any comments, tips, advice, etc. (The pool is crystal clear, by the way).

Since we do not trust pool store testing, I am not even sure there is a point to look at them and speculate on the differences.

Having 0 CC is a good thing.
Pool stores are the worst at the CYA test.
TA of 90 is fine ... mine is 50 due to having a SWG and high CH.

Using your numbers in PoolMath shows a fairly balanced CSI. If you lowered the pH to 7.6, your water would be basically neutral.
Since you CH is a little low, just keep your pH in the upper 7s

Total normal to not have CC especially if you don't have a high bather load and are not covering the pool for several days at a stretch. I do cover my pool and even with that only had the CC go to .5 a couple of times in the last couple of months.

I find the PH easier to read the lower on the scale I go so I generally try to keep it in the 7.4 to 7.6 range when I start to get near 7.8 I have a hard time disguising the color difference.

Might want to check the CYA one more time and once you have a reading you can trust adjust your FC up based on this chart

I would leave the TA alone and adjust the CH up 75 to 100ppm

Which Lafayette are you in? If you're in California, I'd seriously question the low CH and disappearing CYA. If it's the one in Louisiana that gets lots of rain, then it's understandable.

If you're having trouble with the pH test, try doing it with 4 drops instead of 5. And if that doesn't help, add 2 more and see what it looks like.

And finally...
attachment.php

On a side point please add your state to your location, where you are effects some of the advice we give as it tells us your general climate, typical length of pool season, and in some cases even the likely hardness range of your water. All of these things are different between say Lafayette, IN and Lafayette LA, then of course there is LaFayette, NY, and who knows what else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, there you go. I took it up to 10 FC which I checked at about 10;30 PM, and it was 7.5 at 7AM. There's also a bunch of what looks like dirt (and I assume is dead algae) in the bottom. When I inherited this pool last year it was in bad shape. I got it cleared up, but it looks like I didn't kill everything. I guess I get to try my first SLAM now. Thanks for the input, it has obviously been very helpful.

Lol. I guess I was lulled to sleep by the crystal clearness of the water. I have some spots that I have brushed and brushed with the wire algae brush, but just cannot seem to remove. Maybe I convinced myself it was just a stain or something. Will I ever be algae free with these spots there, or will the SLAM eventually get them to come off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.