Intermatic PE653/PE953 MultiWave Control System

IrwinK

Apr 25, 2016
Orlando, FL
I specified this simple automation control for my new pool under construction.

The electrician seems to have very little if any experience with it. He wired the pumps and fastened the Intermatic and 2 Transformers to the wall and I haven't seen him in over a week.

I've been reading through old threads and my programming & user guide and think I could get it running if the electrician wires it correctly. He must have taken the wiring diagram & guide with him.

I specified in my contract to use 4 of the 5 function buttons.

1. To control my Pentair XF VS feature pump through 4 speeds.
2. LED 5g lights 2 in sync. with same button.
3. LED Globrite in the steps
4. Actuator for Deck Jets.

The 5th button is for future use and I am hoping I can use it control a SWG instead of buying a separate mechanical or digital timer.

Note from what I read it will not control a 2nd VS pump so my circulation pump will just be set with it's built-in timer.

Also there is an Antenna relocating kit that is included. Anyone able to use the remote without line of sight? My pool is 40' from the equipment.

Thanks for any updated info from users or those contemplating getting this equipment.

Hey there, I love my PE653 :)

I have a 2 speed pump at 220v, slots 1 and 2, SWG at 120v slot 3, and 120v transformer for low voltage lights on slot 5..

mine reaches about 50 feet through 2 walls with rechargeable batteries, after about 3 months it starts to have problems reaching the controller. I dont have a VS pump but I know it can do it, you can call intermatic and they are great at helping with these.. they will walk you through each step needed to configure it :)

here are the manuals
http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/intermatic/documentation/pool_and_spa/electronic_controls/multiwave/userprogrammingguide-111314.pdf
http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/intermatic/documentation/pool_and_spa/electronic_controls/multiwave/installationguide-111314.pdf

Here are a couple pictures from my install
f7b08yMh.jpg

da4XwRXh.jpg

3sLQKWJh.jpg

iZP3WKHh.jpg

The PB should program everything, that's part of their responsibility, not the electrician. Electrician just needs to make sure everything is wired properly.

For reference, buttons 1-5 = circuits 1-5

The Multiwave has a dedicated terminal for Pentair variable speed pumps. This allows you to program 5 different pump speeds (4 + MAX but you can also define the RPM of Max) and assign whichever speed you like during each of your run schedule periods. This input doesn't use any of the 5 buttons. The manual doesn't say, but I don't see why you couldn't hook up both of your Pentair VS Pumps to this terminal, but that would mean both of the pumps run the exact same speed/schedule, which probably isn't what you want.

The way the Intermatic controls a Pentair VS is by you defining 5 speeds and their associated RPM (it's actually 4 speeds + MAX but you can set the RPM on MAX as well). The special input then sends the signals to the pump so it knows which what RPM it should run at based on how you set your schedules.

The thing I'm not sure how you deal with is 2 PENTAIR VS pumps running on separate speeds/schedules. There looks to be no capacity for that, which means you'll have to deal with your main run pump (pool circulation) schedule being programmed in the pump itself, and having to go to the pump if you ever want to adjust these (which you will likely find you want to adjust things to use slower and/or shorter cycles in winter). Not a big deal, but not as convenient as doing it from the controller of the MultiWave.

So, in summary, your main run pump you won't connect to the MultiWave, and your feature pump will be connected but it won't take up any button circuits

Your LED lights would use a circuit and a button. No reason the 2 5G lights can't be done together on a button and the Globrite on another.

For the Deck Jets, this will depend on how the jets themselves work. If they are controlled strictly by a water valve then you need the Intermatic P5043ME and a PE24VA Valve actuator to hook that to the system. The P5043ME is required to use valve actuators, and it can control 4, but they are for specific purposes. 2 of the controls are for pool/spa pump valves, 1 is for a water feature and 1 is for solar heater. So, as long as you only need 1 actuator for all your deck jets, you have no concerns. The water feature actuator is tied to circuit 4, so button 4 will be used to open/close your water feature valve.

If your deck jets run off their own bundled on/off actuator and it just needs a simple on/off signal to, then you don't need the P5043ME/PE24VA and you would use one of the button circuits to simply send the on/off signal to the actuator that's included.

Lastly, you don't say what SWG you are using. If it's an AutoPilot, then that connects to the same terminal the Pentair VS pump connects and no button is used. If it's any brand OTHER than AutoPilot, then you can connect to one of the buttons. You would program that button on so it's on a timer sequence that aligns with your main rum pump.

Thanks for the detailed info & pictures. I'm more comfortable now with choosing the Multiwave. If the electrician wires it correctly I should be able to program it.

Glad to learn that the Pentair VS pump will not use a button. Does that mean I have 5 buttons (circuits available) and will be able to control the pump plus circuits?

The Feature pump is for the Waterfalls. I will only set the timer to run them a short period each day but want to use the remote control to turn them on at any time.

The pool circulation pump is ok with the built in timer. I have the remote keypad kits for both pumps (really only need it for the circulation pump) so I won't have to go outside the pool area to adjust pumps with the keypad.

The deck jets (on one 1.5" pipe with own actuator, split near the pool to four 1" pipes with ball valves) were supposed to be connected to the feature pump but the PBs employee who did the plumbing, without asking put them on the circulation pump. PB does not want to change this and said observe how it works and he will change it later if I still want to. So I have deck jets and bubblers on the circulation pump. I originally wanted everything on the Feature Pump.

I haven't decided yet on which SWG to use. I am leaning toward the Hayward Aqua Rite, but now the Auto Pilot has to be considered as it will input to the Multiwave. It is twice the price but has nice features. Besides input to Multiwave I like it's bypass plumbing.

Now that I kind of understand how you will be using your pumps, I would think about using the multiwave for you circulation pump and program you feature pump to go on and off using itself... you could set a normal time your outside and if needed walk over to the pump and manually turn on your waterfall if needed...

I think both ways will work perfect, just think about what pump you want more control over with the remote :)

I won't know until the pool s running but I don't plan to run the waterfalls very much (3HP and aeration). Just want to set them now for a few short intervals per day and press the remote if I want more.

The circulation pump will probably run at economical slow speed for 8 hrs in summer and 6 hrs in winter. I may set a few hours time with higher speed (if needed) for suction pool cleaner.
If I want more circulation time the remote wired keypad will be in the lanai next to the pool area. I won't have to go outside the screened area to the equipment pad which is very important in Florida with all the bugs. :)

That's cool that the IntelliFlo XF pumps have a remote keyboard options, my regular IntelliFlo VS doesn't, not that I needed it since I only have 1 pump.

When you use the special Pentair VS pump interface in the Multiwave, it doesn't consume any of the 5 circuits,, so the 5 circuits will be free for all the other stuff.

I'd have to check to confirm, but I am running my circulation pump for about 6 hours on speed 2 and 3 hours on speed 3 (at the default RPM's set by Pentair). I use the higher speed to get more surface circulation for better skimming action. Most of the time that's really not necessary though. This time of year (trees blooming) is about the only time the surface gets much stuff on it. The rest of the year it's pretty clean. The screen room keeps all the junk out.

I purchased a suction based cleaner, but I haven't had to use it. Only time I get stuff on the bottom of the pool is when people use it and they track some paver sand it. Heavy rains will end up getting minor amounts of paver sand in over time as well. I can just brush them right into the drain though, no need to get the vac hooked up.

As I only have 1 pump, the bubblers are on that pump as well, but there is a valve for each bubbler plus a valve upstream from those individual valves to bypass both bubblers entirely. I was hoping that I could put the Intermatic valve controllers on each of the individual bubblers valves and remotely control them on-demand to any specific valve position. But, from what I can find (which is very little), the Intermatic valve controls have to be set to a specific open/close position in programming. I would want to basically hold a button and it would open to a certain amount until I let go, and same with close, but I seem to be out of luck on that much control. I still may go with this config anyway, we'll see. Or maybe I'll bring in a cheap 1 speed pump for them and control it separately. For now, I have to walk outside to open valves.

In your case, bubblers on the feature pump makes a lot of sense to me.

With your deck jets having their own actuator, that should just been hooking them up to any circuit for simple on/off.

I have the Pentair SWG because that's what the PB uses, all Pentair. It's a good unit but because the Intermatic can't interface it, I can only set the generation percentage at the SWG and the levels are 20/40/60/80/100, so no fine tuning. With the AutoPilot, you can set the cell power level and pool size in the Multiwave, but the manual isn't specific on how specific you can set the cell power level. I would try to find out those details before spending 2x more on an AutoPilot over another SWG.

If you just want a basic SWG bypass, that can be plumbed in with any SWG using a few dollars in PVC and 2 valves. I realize the AutoPilot bypass manifold is more then a basic bypass, but just wanted to point out bypass can be done.

Consider upsizing the SWG cell size. Bigger cell means you can run at lower power levels which should extend life of the cell. This is a pretty common recommendation on TFP. Even though my pool is 14k gals and the Pentair IC20 is rated for 20k gals, I have an IC40 installed which is rated for 40k gallons.

When you use the special Pentair VS pump interface in the Multiwave, it doesn't consume any of the 5 circuits,, so the 5 circuits will be free for all the other stuff.

So I just looked at the manual and no where in it says where or how you connect power to a VS pump, does this mean you connect power directly to the pump and just use MW to control it? If so that is really nice, you would still have 5 circuit to run whatever :)

So I just looked at the manual and no where in it says where or how you connect power to a VS pump, does this mean you connect power directly to the pump and just use MW to control it? If so that is really nice, you would still have 5 circuit to run whatever :)

Yup, exactly that. Your connecting the communication cable form the Pentair to the Multiwave, and that's controlling the pumps internal brain/controller. When that cable is connected, it actually locks you out of using the controller that's on the pump itself

The Multiwave supports some other variable speed pumps as well (Century, Hayward, Jandy, Marathon, Speck), but it requires the expansion module. This configuration would also mean you still have 5 circuits available. But, I'm not sure exactly what kind of capabilities you have when you use those brands of variable speed pumps. The Multiwave manual says to refer to the pump manufactures manual, so I can't comment on how much variable speed control you would get.

Thanks again. I have a much better understanding of the Multiwave.

Tomorrow 8 a.m. the PB and the Electrician say they are both going to be here at same time. Thanks to you guys I'm ready for them . :bowdown: Hopefully the electrician will be able the wire it correctly. The pumps are already wired.

PB also scheduled an inspection for the footers and the electrical bonding later in the morning.

So Monday or Tuesday I'm hoping they pour the footers and can schedule the sub for the deck pavers.
I'll continue with pictures on my Under Construction Thread: New Pool - Orlando Florida

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Electrician wired the Multiwave.
He used only one of the remote keypads for the Circulation pump.
Since the Feature pump was connected to the Multiwave there was no reason to use the Remote keypad as the keypad no longer functions.
Also he didn't wire the Actuator. The Multiwave does not have a 24v output. Intermatic phone tech told him the only way to connect is to buy a PE140 add-on which is about $178 and controls 3 actuators. Since I only have the one actuator he has to return with a low cost 24v transformer and wire it that way.

Inspector was here and passed inspection.

I know this is an old thread and probably most in this forum has some form of Pentair Automation. Moved into the house in July 2020 and the system was a Intermatic 240v timer for the whisper flow pump and the lights and blower were all controlled with the X-10 automation devices. So since July I have been looking for an automation upgrade. First I want to replace the whisper flow with a VS but seem bad throwing away a good pump even though it consumes more energy. Plan the VS in the spring. For automation looked at all of Pentair products but didn’t want to spend thousands of dollars. My initial thought was that the VS pump would control it self automatically with it built in schedule function And just leave the lights / blower on the X-10. I then found the Pentair Intellconnect which is very reasonable but has limited control functions with just 2 relays. I wanted the pool and spa light to be on separate circuits and also the landscape lights on it’s own circuit. Almost purchased it for around $250. I already have the intermatic T2104R which has a 60 A power panel. Then i stumbled on the Intermatic Multiwave, which controls 5 circuits in addition to a VS pump through the comm data cable. I found one on eBay (NIB) for a listed start bid price of $199 in Early Dec. No one else bid! Did lots of reading the install manuals and studying the wiring diagrams. The Pump was easy since it was just transferring the wires from the Intermatic timer to the Multiwave. The other devices was all 120v device connect to 2 of the other 20A CB in the power pane. I did replace one of the 20A CB with a 15A GFI breaker for the pool and spa light (circuits 3 and 4). The 120v blower is on circuit 2 and shares the power from the 20A pool pump. the landscape lights were wired through a 300w LV box and pluged into the gfi outlet but I stil had to either se t up a timer schedule on the 300w LV box(so on everyday which is not what I wanted Or go to the box and plug into the gfi outlet). However, I wanted to control the Landscape lights with the multiwave. So I wired the power to the GFI outlet to circuit 5 And just leave the lights switch in the 300w LV box on and plugged into the outlet. Now I can control the lights with button 5 on the multiwave. I wantEd to reserve circuit 5 for a fireman’s switch for the heater. I will accomplish that when I free up a circuit when I install the VS pump in the spring. So far every things works with no issues. You can control all the circuits with the remote or the buttons at the Multiwave receiver unit. One other item I saw on a service mode instruction. See instructions below. So far I am happy with the Multiwave. I have no knowledge on the zWave function.

Service Mode allows you to manually turn the filter pump ON or OFF, without the use of a controller, by pushing the appropriate buttons on the PE653 receiver. When turning a pump ON, a countdown period of 1,2,3,4 or 5 hours is set that will override the schedule, ensuring proper mixing of chemicals. At the end of the user-defined period, the PE653 will turn the pump OFF and resume the normal programmed schedule.
To Activate Service Mode:
Press and hold button #1 on the PE653 receiver until the indicator light starts blinking for Circuit 1. Then, press button 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 to set the duration, in hours, you want the pump to be ON. The Circuit 1 light will continue to blink for the duration of the service mode.
To Deactivate Service Mode:
Press and hold button #1 on the PE653 receiver until the indicator light stops blinking (approx. 5 seconds).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.