Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timeline for Payments

1. Back To Top    #1

Timeline for Payments

So, after weeks of delays in our owner build dream....we decided to go with a pool builder. It's a family company with great references and a price that is comparable to what we hoped to spend on an O/B. The only thing that I'm not sold on is the timeline for payments. The following is what they proposed:

10% at signing
    20% after excavation
    15% after steel and rough plumbing
    25% on day of shotcrete
    5% after tile/coping
    5% after pavers
    10% after pebble
    5% after sod
    5% at start up

Does this seem fair or would you negotiate the schedule?
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Timeline for Payments

That is very close to what our PB gave us also... Seems normal from my limited experience.

3. Back To Top    #3

I see your in GA so it may not be the same as here in Cali but here the maximum at signing is 10% or $1000 (whichever is lesser). The rest seems fairly reasonable to me.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here in CA (at least in my city) there is no down-payment at all, you pay after the fact.

Anyhow 10% at signup seems high for me. (permits and planning shouldn't cost that much)
    Our Build 2016 14.5' x 26' IG Pebble, 14.5K Gal. 3.5' - 6.5' deep, 5 returns, 2 Skimmers, Hayward VS pump, Hayward 525 Cartridge Filter, Hayward E-Command 4, Heliocol Solar, Hayward LED Light, Paramount Ultraviolet, Polaris 280, AquaRite Pro, T-CELL-15, Sense and Dispense (HL-CHEM), Ph Dispense System (AQL-CHEM3) , Taylor K-2006 with SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

As the consumer, you want the schedule as back-loaded as possible so you have more of a bargaining chip when dealing with the inevitable problems to creep up at the end.

That said, most builders do not seem to have any flexibility in their payment schedule.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, everyone!
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

7. Back To Top    #7

In California, the maximum a contractor can ask for at contract signing is $1,000, even if it is a $500,000 job. I bet Georgia has equivalent laws.
    Rectangular pool 28x16 and spa 8x7, 17,000 gallons, IG, Tropics Blue Mini-Pebble, Jandy 60 DE filter, saltwater cell, Jandy VS pump, 1.5 hp Jandy spa pump, 400k heater, 5' Sheer Descent with 1 hp Jandy pump, Jandy color LED lights. Build Thread

8. Back To Top    #8

Ours was about 60% due right after gunite and the 2nd payment is due after decking and plaster, and the remainder which is a very small amount due after started up and swimming

9. Back To Top    #9

As Jason states above you want to back load the payments. The final payment should be between 5 and 10% of the total contract and should be due 5 to 10 days AFTER final signoff by the building official and completion of all items on your punchlist. If they say no tell them goodbye -- they will agree. Remember they have mechanic's lien rights protecting them. Never make the final payment until all work is complete per the contract.

This is a business where referals are the most important thing to a contractor they want you to be happy. Get them to agree to what you want upfront. Construction is inherently tense and things will always go wrong. It never turns out exactly as you expected so don't let the PB front load the contract give yourself some leverage.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

A lot of builders won't agree to that because they don't want to bothered enforcing a lien and it is not difficult for a homeowner to contest a portion of the balance due to alleged problems. To the extent you can't a PB to agree to a holdback you should rely on referrals and ask them if the PB quickly returned to fix issues even after they were paid in full. I wouldn't necessarily eliminate a PB merely because they don't agree - there are other factors to consider
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

11. Back To Top    #11

In Houston, we had $500 deposit, then 2 larger payments after gunite and tiling and decking work. The contract specified 10% was due after we had the pool turned over, completing the final punch list and received a release of liens from subcontractors.
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

12. Back To Top    #12

Similar to mine, but mine was initially all equal installments. However, after adding stuff throughout the build, it became tilted with higher percentages at the end. 1 more payment due....truckload of pavers delivered this morning and they are out there doing the base now. The end is near!!

Congrats on finding a builder and moving forward. Looking forward to your build. Are they really busy or will they start soon?
    Done! - 105' perimeter, 20x40 gunite pool; Pentair equipment; tanning ledge with 3 LED bubblers; 2 color LEDs in pool; 2500 sq ft Belgard Lafit Rustic Slab; Blue Surf Pebblesheen color; 4'x12' Waterfall;

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow...it's amazing how differently they all do it. Mine was a renovation as opposed to a new build, but for me 50% was due up front, 25% was due after tile was complete, and the final 25% was due after everything was done and the pool was turned over to me.
    My renovation completed March 2016; 16 x 32 IG gunite play pool, ~14,000 gallons; Wet Edge Prism Matrix Indigo Blue; Pentair 5G Color LED Light w/controller; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP VSP; Hayward SwimClear C5030 cartridge filter; Hayward Swimpure Plus (Aqua Rite) salt chlorinator system with T-15 cell; Maytronics Dolphin Deluxe 4 DX4 robot cleaner.

14. Back To Top    #14

I can't remember the exact percentages, but we had no down payment, a large part after excavation and gunite then smaller ones after plaster and then the holdback.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

15. Back To Top    #15

7% At Signing
    28% After Shell
    28% After Plumbing & Tile
    28% After Deck & Electric
    9% Final After Pool Running

Only thing troubling me is there is only 9% remaining After Deck & Electric to cover Screen Cage and Plaster so it's weighted somewhat up front.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Dldave1978 View Post
    Similar to mine, but mine was initially all equal installments. However, after adding stuff throughout the build, it became tilted with higher percentages at the end. 1 more payment due....truckload of pavers delivered this morning and they are out there doing the base now. The end is near!!

Congrats on finding a builder and moving forward. Looking forward to your build. Are they really busy or will they start soon?
    Thanks, Dave! You'll be swimming in no time!! Excavation starts next week for us. I'm really worried about hitting rock, but hoping for the best. They think that we should be swimming sometime next month - if the weather cooperates. They tore out our old patio today to make room for pavers.

17. Back To Top    #17

Glad you found a PB to expedite the process. At some point of time, the money being saved on an OB is not worth the hassle - especially if you cannot find good subs. Most builds that are OB's have generally not saved money - they generally spent the same amount of money they planned to and got a whole lot of more features.

I am where I just want to finish my project - tired of seeing my backyard in a mess.
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

18. Back To Top    #18

No money up front, and a 10% holdover until final punch list complete. Non-negotiable. I paid 50% when 50% of the work was complete (less 10% holdover). If they need more before the final job is complete, I will pay according to how much of the job is complete, less 10%. No company should rely on future revenue as working capital. Period.

Dig Date 4.25.16 -IG 33x17-Gunite (16,700 gal 4-5-4) -8 ft Raised Spa 46 sqft- Stonescapes Midnight Blue- Okla Flag coping -750 sqft Paver Decking- 4 Ton Mossrock Cascading Waterfall-10ft weeping wall- Jandy 1hp water feature pump- Dual Bubbler on ledge- Pentair VS- Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520- Pentair Easy Touch 8 function- Polaris 280 with Jandy Booster- Mastertemp 400k- Pentair Intellichlor Salt- 3 Pentair Intellibright LED

19. Back To Top    #19

Ideally you could / would negotiate a 3-5% hold back for 30 days after final punch list item(s) are done to your satisfaction and the pool runs trouble free for that 30 days.
    if they are experienced and reputable, they should agree to that.
    Pool construction has a high percentage of fly by nighters who saw a pool built once and figured it wasn't that hard, now they are in the pool business.
    8M x 4M X 2M no slope IG CONCRETE w/ceramic glass tile
    17,000 Gal EMAUX SWG JAZZI FILTER W/1-3 mm glass media, Jazzi Multi-port valve with
    T-750 filter w/ glass media
    1 main drain sump -3 returns - 1 skimmer
    Kokido digital salinity tester, Kokida drops for CL Hanna digital PH meter, Taylor K-2006

20. Back To Top    #20

The only PB who agrees to a 3 to 5% holdout for 30 days is the PB who is either desperate or has already made a tidy profit in your pricing. Select a PB who has demonstrated that they will be around on day 31 and day 100 and day 500. There are several stories of PB'S here that take pride in their work and don't nickel and dime for every small thing.
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast