New Pool Build in San Diego -- Questions

Feb 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Hi All,

First, this forum is awesome! This is my goto place for all advice around pools (definitely a little daunting with all the things to consider).

So, we have been making progress on our pool build and the basics are as follows:

• Pool 245sq ft with 71' perimeter (approx 8500 gallons) 3.5 to 5ft depth.
  • Spa 50sq ft with 25' perimeter
  • Intelliflo VS 011018 3HP (filtration)
  • Whisperflo 2HP (jets)
  • CCP 320 Cartridge Filter
  • Intellitouch Enclosure Kit Load Center with Intellichlor Trans
  • i7 Intellitouch Personality kit
  • Intellichlor Cell
  • ScreenLogic 2 w/phone kit
  • Pentair 400k BTU natural gas heater
  • Intellibrite 5g color pool/spa light
  • Thinking about solar...
  • 3 Pool Returns
  • 1 Skimmer
  • Sheer descent on spa and on raised back wall (24" center of raised back wall 30")
  • Gas and electric run to the back of the raised wall for firebowls to be placed on the left and right of the back. (Future)

Ok, so we had shotcrete done but there are a couple of things that I wonder about:

1. I noticed we don't have a dedicated vacuum port. Apparently I'm supposed to use the skimmer with a vac plate (e.g. the Pentair Rainbow)
  2. The spa seat width is only about 15" to 16" of shotcrete. When I sit on it I feel like it might be too narrow. What's normal? I've heard 18" and my neighbors is 17.5". I know that plaster/pebble will add about 0.5" but can it be "over plastered" to make it a little bit wider?

Thanks!

IMG_1286.jpg

I should have mentioned in reference to (1) about not having a dedicated vacuum port that my question is whether or not I should pay to have one put in (coring the shotcrete and running a new suction line). I've heard that it shouldn't be a "huge" deal to do and for sure it would have been better to get this done before shotcrete but I didn't even know about it until the solar installer came out and asked and the neighbors pool guy poked his head over the wall and asked and both said it was WAY better. Ugh.

How much would you expect to pay for this? I've heard that it's done on renovations quite commonly. Trenches aren't filled and no decking poured so...

or use a robot for cleaning the pool, aquabot or dolphin...
supreme-m5.jpg

our pool builder in our last home left us with the skimmer plate and a length of hose attached to a vacuum head, end of story! after a few weeks of that, we purchased an aquabot.

in most threads i have read on here, a robot cleaner is recommended over the suction type ike the polaris (with dedicated port) most of the time. I could be wrong... Pool Cleaners

Yes, it does seem like robot cleaners are fairly popular on the forum and a lot of people love how well they work. My primary objection to them is not as much the cost but

a) Pulling it in and out of the pool all the time instead of a pressure-side/suction-side which you can pretty much leave in.
b) Running a power cord to it unless I run a new outlet somewhere a little closer to the pool so it wouldn't be in a walkway.

My PB came back with a quote of $200 to core and put in a separate suction line so I'm going to go that route (vacuum plate alone would have cost me around $90'ish).

Now my second question was the spa seat width. I've heard that 18" to 20" is standard (neighbors is 17.5) and my PB says 14" to 16" is standard.

I asked him about shooting more plaster and he said max they can do is 3/4" to add extra width (like to go more up to 17 to 18"). Guess that doesn't leave me with many options... or does it?

I agree with you reasons a and b above. Always seemed to me that robots were more of a pain than the Polaris even if they were better cleaners. Can't help you on the standard spa seat width

Just an observation, I have a pressure side cleaner and wish I had a robot. I never leave it in because the hose kills the pool aesthetics (call me a pool snob but I love the look we've created down there) and it gets in the way of swimming and good pool fun.

But for $200 can't hurt to have it. I do however recommend the outlets nearby anyway. Phone chargers...

Yes, it does seem like robot cleaners are fairly popular on the forum and a lot of people love how well they work. My primary objection to them is not as much the cost but

a) Pulling it in and out of the pool all the time instead of a pressure-side/suction-side which you can pretty much leave in.
b) Running a power cord to it unless I run a new outlet somewhere a little closer to the pool so it wouldn't be in a walkway.

My PB came back with a quote of $200 to core and put in a separate suction line so I'm going to go that route (vacuum plate alone would have cost me around $90'ish).

Now my second question was the spa seat width. I've heard that 18" to 20" is standard (neighbors is 17.5) and my PB says 14" to 16" is standard.

I asked him about shooting more plaster and he said max they can do is 3/4" to add extra width (like to go more up to 17 to 18"). Guess that doesn't leave me with many options... or does it?

can't argue with that quote. good deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, so they put in the suction side but now I'm wondering if they need to use hydraulic cement around the new pipe. I talked to the PB and he said they would put the pebble/plaster over the hole to seal it but my understanding is the shell needs to be repaired with the cement. Am I right?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.