Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help a girl out? CSI adjustment

1. Back To Top    #1

Help a girl out? CSI adjustment

Hey guys - I have been trying to figure out what I should adjust for CSI.

I do all my own testing with a TF-100 - my pool is 1 year old. Ive never had any crazy numbers - other than during the floods a few weeks ago my water got really diluted - I have since brought everything back up. Even though I have kept my numbers within range - I haven't EVER paid attention to CSI and I am getting quite a bit of scale on my rocks. And I have a LOT of rocks. I plan on tackling the scale with MA and a scrub brush - but I wanted to see if I could get a better understanding of CSI.

From what I understand it would be great if I could keep my CSI at 0. I understand I play with the numbers to see what changes happen. But before I toss something in I would love to have someone on here verify I am thinking this through correctly.

FC 7 (I bring it to 7 each afternoon - it never gets below 3)
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 250
    CYA 30 (I have added pucks last week to raise it to 40, but haven't retested this week)
    Water temp 75
    CSI -.25

My thoughts are to leave CH at 250
    Get CYA to 40
    Increase TA to 90
    My water should be back to 80 over the next few days - which will put my CSI at -.08
    The water will raise to 85 over the next month or so which will put my CSI at -.03

Does this sound like a sound plan? Am I working the numbers right? This is not my skill set!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help a girl out? CSI adjustment

-.25 isn't a problem, and like you say as it gets warmer it should trend toward 0.

I understand the obsession though, I can't say I wasn't a little excited when today I noticed mine is 0.01
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you will want your CYA at 50 in that Houston sun. And I would leave TA at 70 so PH doesn't start rising. Especially with swimming and splashing ramping up soon. Does PH stay 7.5 on its own? If yes I would go

PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CYA 50
    CH 300
    Water 80, cuz 75 is too cold!
    CSI -0.16
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Just so you understand a positive CSI reading means that scale could form, a negative one can damage pool surfaces. But any CSI reading between -.60 and +.60 is little cause for alarm. If you are experiencing any scaling, you will want to maintain a slightly negative CSI. So for you, any CSI between zero and -.60 is acceptable. I have high CH, so if I allow mine to get much above zero I can develop scale in a hurry. I target a CSI in the -.10 to -.30 range, but am not concerned as long as it's a negative number below -.60. Any positive number can result in some scale, but for most poeple it's slow and of little concern until a positive of .60. That's why the chart calls for a CSI between -.60 and +.60.

Hope this helps.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you guys!!! This is perfect!!

i feel much better about my path now!

And I'm sooo ready for 85 degree water!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread