Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can bring down ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Can bring down ph

I have added way more ph decreaser than I should and my test strips say it is still high. What am I missing?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can bring down ph

Hello and welcome to TFP! Well, the first problem I see is that you are still using test strips. They may seem convenient, but they are simply horrible when it comes to accurate readings - right along side of pool store testing. You would be better served by testing with a proper test kit (i.e TF-100 link below or Taylor K-2006). It all starts with the test kit.

As for reducing pH (if actually needed) we use primarily muriatic acid, applied in the proper doses. But you must be careful. PH is one of those levels that can have severe consequences if too high or too low. For that reason, I would really encourage you to consider ordering either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. You won't result the accuracy or dependability from either one. Nice to have you with us.

You should also know that if your TA is extremely high, it will continue to allow pH to rise as well. They work together in a way, so it's good to know both levels.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Muriatic acid would raise ph though right? I use it with masonry. I need a base.

4. Back To Top    #4

Acid reduces pH and also reduces TA. If you click on the link in my sig below titled "Recommended Chemicals", you'll see the effects of each product we use for the pools.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by FOCILLEAT View Post
    Muriatic acid would raise ph though right? I use it with masonry. I need a base.
    Muratic acid reduces pH.

I agree with Pat, you really need a quality test kit. But, if you have been dumping pH down in the pool with no result I would think the need is almost immediate for a good pH test. While the cheap $5 liquid test kits (red/yellow liquid) are only fair for chlorine, they are decent for pH. WalMart has them in the seasonal pool section.

Did I say for the long run you should order a good test kit?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll grab a better test kit and see if that changes things. Thanks everyone.