Lars 2 Heater - Pilot will not light

Jun 25, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Hi,
I have a Lars2 gas heater. It's maybe 13 years old. This season I cannot get the pilot to light. When I hold down the valve switch, I don't hear gas flowing and I don't smell it either. Could there be a blocked line? When I opened the main supply valve, I saw a quick sputter of water from the tube coming off the regulator. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary.

I would appreciate any troubleshooting tips before calling someone out. Thanks!!

There is not much gas that comes out of the pilot portion of the valve so I'm not sure you would smell the gas. Are you trying to light it with one of the long BBQ lighters? I do find at times the little line for the pilot does get clogged and needs to be replaced. I also find that the thermocouple goes and if you can get the pilot lit, it won't stay lit due to the bad thermocouple. Is this a natural gas or propane unit? Also check to make sure you have gas coming into the system as well.

Hi, thanks for your answer. It's a natural gas unit. I tried both the spark-ignition and a bbq wand lighter, but nothing. I don't hear the telltale hiss of the gas either.

I plan to take a closer look at the pilot tubing when I get a chance -- though I hesitate to mess around with gas plumbing too much on my own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.