Pool store says one thing, what say ye?

Newpoolcrazy

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2015
La Porte, TX
After I got used to old Intex pool, it was taken out by tornado. I again am a newbie (will clean up sig file soon)

Pool is almost full, and PB says put 1 bottle (32oz) All Clear stain and scale and run pump for 24 hrs. The bottle says 15oz per 10k gallons. My pool is barely 7700 gal. Should I follow pool store advice, what the bottle says, or other? Pool water is almost to skimmer so I need to be prepared.

Thanks in advance and Happy Summer!!!

Is there any reason to believe you have metals in the water? If not, I'd say no. Fresh water needs the following:
- CYA increase (granular stabilizer); for your SWG, I'd suggest an initial target of 70
- Add regular bleach for a day 1 target of 2-3 ppm; after the stabilizer has dissolved, use bleach or adjust your SWG to maintain FC at 4-6
- Adjust pH to about 7.6
- Check TA. If it's high, like over 120, you might want to lower over time to help keep pH stable

That's about it for now.

Probably so. We have very hard water here and don't have a softener.

Is the water from a well or a municipal/city water supply? Well water can have problems with metals but city water usually has none or VERY little. Did the PB give you a test result that said you had metals in the fill water? Not useful if there was no testing to confirm metals. Hard water means high CH, maybe TA but not necessarily metals content.

As Pat said, you need stabilizer, bleach and likely some muriatic acid on hand to maintain pH. Only use that product if you have evidence of metals.

I'll check further about metals. I probably have a water breakdown from the city somewhere. I know it's super hard and has tons of chlorine in it, but that's all I know off hand.

The rest of your post, I actually understood and know how to do! At least my brain hasn't atrophied yet. Thanks so much!

Is there any reason to believe you have metals in the water? If not, I'd say no. Fresh water needs the following:
- CYA increase (granular stabilizer); for your SWG, I'd suggest an initial target of 70
- Add regular bleach for a day 1 target of 2-3 ppm; after the stabilizer has dissolved, use bleach or adjust your SWG to maintain FC at 4-6
- Adjust pH to about 7.6
- Check TA. If it's high, like over 120, you might want to lower over time to help keep pH stable

That's about it for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.